2 batches both still bubbling after 12 days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tallbrew81

Reaction score
Hey everyone
So I am brewing up a Weihenstephan-style hefeweissen and an IPA. both are bubling 1/2-4 seconds.... after 12 days in the carboy! I use liquid yeast (DME extract) and recently have really really aerated the wort before sealing the fermentors. I know that the Wyeast Weihenstephan and the American Ale (what I used) are known for vigorous fermentation, but this is a really long time. Had to use blow-off tubes for both fermentors within 3 hours of sealing the fermentor and probably lost about 15% of the wort thru the tubes. My question is this: is this extended and vigorous fermentation a good thing? Nice head of krausen on both carboys, no signs of infection that I can tell. Originally planning on bottling and/or secondary after two weeks but am now thinking pushing it to 3 weeks. Thoughts/opinions welcome! Thanks

I think you should check the gravity and bottle once it has been stable for 3 consecutive days. Air lock activity means nothing.

embarassing update: i broke my hydrometer (cut myself actually) and the LHBS doesn't get more in for at least a week. Temps are steady between 74-76F. OG was within limits set by recipes.

embarassing update: i broke my hydrometer (cut myself actually) and the LHBS doesn't get more in for at least a week. Temps are steady between 74-76F. OG was within limits set by recipes.

Bull City Homebrew is out of hydrometers? Just leave it. A week is a good thing.

Back