Cutting apart a corney keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghart999

Reaction score
I remember ready a post where someone cut sections of a corney for wind shields for burners. They did like 4-5" tall pieces around the cylinder. Perfect shape and fit for what I need, not to mention stainless.

I have n angle grinder, but I can't think of how I would cut this and get straight cuts. Anyone have any ideas on this?

you'd definitely want to rig up a jig and a fixture for the corny so the grinder wheel would be stationary and teh corny could just rotate for the cut.

That been said, Sounds like a waste of a corny to me.

Thanks.

Well dead corney = $20.

5" x 8' 16G plate steel > $20 plus I have to figure a way to weld it than money to paint it.

Corney is cheaper.

why the need for stainless? I bet you could fins some piece of aluminum duct work for cheaper than that at the hardware store? Or maybe free as scrap...

Why is the Corney dead?

Corney is dead because it has no lid. I bought 10 corneys at a garage sale last month for $8 (yes 8 dollars) and one of them had no lid.

I just would rather use some nice steel than aluminum since I already have it.

Why question why he wants to use a corny? All he wants is a way to cut it straight!

+1 Jig for the grinder and how about laying the keg on top of two pieces of 2x4 spaced enough apart to allow you to rotate the keg. Box the keg in with 2 more pieces of wood so it does not shift while turning.

I was even thinking of mounting the grinder to a vertical post of some kind so the cutting blade is parallel to the ground. Then find a way to have the keg vertical and easy to rotate. Then just move the keg into the blade and rotate the keg around with the grinder staying stationary.

Maybe put the keg on a lazy susan or something.

Why question why he wants to use a corny? All he wants is a way to cut it straight!

+1 Jig for the grinder and how about laying the keg on top of two pieces of 2x4 spaced enough apart to allow you to rotate the keg. Box the keg in with 2 more pieces of wood so it does not shift while turning.

I agree (even though I started it :eek:) I too hate seeing threads like this get thrown off topic from a side debate and for that I'm sorry.

Why not just take it to a metal fab shop and have them ban saw it? It wouldn't cost that much and would make nice straight cuts.

I have cut cornies up. I just put a bit of tape around it, marked it with a sharpie, and then cut free hand. If you are patient, then it is not a problem to get a good cut.

Back