Hoppy Smell from Airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Porterrific

Reaction score
I have a Robust Porter that has been fermenting for about a day now...I was curious and took a whiff of the exhaust coming from the airlock. It smelled very hoppy...just wondering if it is any indication of overhopping or if it is natural for the CO2 gas to take on a lot of the hop aroma without the final product being so "hoppy"?

All of the brews I do with Whitbread have a hoppy smell early on. This could be the yeast allowing the hop aroma to come through, or perhaps it's just a characteristic of the yeast. I use Whitbread as my English stout yeast -- and generally my stouts are below 30 IBU.

So no, just smelling the airlock is not an accurate way of determining hop concentration.

The Altbier I brewed Saturday had a VERY strong hop smell at the airlock for the first day or so.

That hoppy aroma coming from the airlock is one of the greatest things ever. That'll be one of those things I babble on about when I'm riddled with Alzheimer's years from now.

Latest posts

Back