Throat Coat Metheglin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moonpile

Reaction score
I'm sick with a sore throat wishing I had brewed my self a batch of this a year or so ago. Throat Coat Tea + Honey + Yeast (and nutrient, etc).

I may try a mini batch of Coca Mead...lol... aka "Cocaine Mead, Its really addictive"

coca tea, honey, yeast, nutrient, energizer :)

Ever since my trip to Peru I've been drinking the stuff. I'm pretty sure you cannot import leaves, only tea bags. Lol... i'm sure the US government is afraid of people importing mass amounts of Coca leaves and making Cocaine out of it.

I'm curious about this throat coat metheglin. Could you give me some more info on it? What brand of tea did you use? How much tea per gallon? How much honey per gallon? Any recommendations on yeast? How long until ready for drinking? Thanks!

I haven't actually made it, I was just wishing I had!

And while I've had the Throat Coat from Traditional Medicinals, I was actually enjoying a cup of Throat Coat from Yogi Tea with an added dose of Wild Raspberry honey from Maine. I like the Yogi Tea one a bit better from a simple taste standpoint.

That said, I'm seriously considering trying to make some of this but it won't be in the next few weeks, sadly.

I figure that it takes 16 teabags to make a gallon of strong tea (128oz/8oz). I used 20 just for the hell if it. I added 2.5lbs of honey to make an average size mead (11.5-12% ABV).

If you have all the ingredients and a container, it takes just a few minutes to make it. Really the longest part is bringing the water to boil and letting the bags steep while the water cools.

I'm looking at making some of this. I like the Traditional Medicinals better myself. It comes across with a very strong/sweet cinnamon and licorice flavor. How much of this flavor profile do you think will come through? Do you think the natural sweetness will stay or will it be fermented away to something entirely different?

Latest posts

Back