Looking for opinions on hop schedule for a SMaSH recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sud-Paw

Reaction score
Just bought the ingredients for a SMaSH recipe,

10 lbs of Maris Otter
Availability of 2 oz of Northern Brewer hops.

Any opinions about what hop schedule would
produce the best over all flavor.

My first schedule option that I came up with is

.75 oz 60 min
.25 oz 20 min
.50 oz flame out

Critique as much as needed!
Thanks for input in advance

Das Boot

produce
schedule would benefit

I don't think Northern Brewer at FO would do much...I don't think Northern brewer is going to give you much flavor at all. What yeast are you using? I'd lean towards just a 60 and then 15 if you use an immersion chiller.

Rev

I do use beer smith 2, and everything falls in line as a blonde ale just fine.

I guess maybe my question is what do people think about the M. O. malt Northern Brewer hop SMaSH combo?

I guess I should have included that in my OP.

IBU falls at 23

enricocoron said:
I don't think Northern Brewer at FO would do much...I don't think Northern brewer is going to give you much flavor at all. What yeast are you using? I'd lean towards just a 60 and then 15 if you use an immersion chiller.

I am using dry muntons.

It wouldn't be my hop of choice....that's all...with Muntons Yeast and MO base I'd use EKG or Fuggles, or go with a big American hop like Centennial to make a transatlantic brew.

But if you are using N.B. hops I would go 60 and 15 if using an immersion chiller, or 60 and FO if using a plate chiller (assuming you will whirlpool).

It wouldn't be my hop of choice....that's all...with Muntons Yeast and MO base I'd use EKG or Fuggles, or go with a big American hop like Centennial to make a transatlantic brew.

But if you are using N.B. hops I would go 60 and 15 if using an immersion chiller, or 60 and FO if using a plate chiller (assuming you will whirlpool).

Sorry for the hijack, but how does chilling method affect hop utilization? Maybe I need to change my process?

Back