what size starter for bottle harvested yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbuzz

Reaction score
I saved a bottle culture of yeast from an Ommegang Aphrodite 750 mL bottle. Was wondering what size starter to use to get it going...don't want to "over-feed"

150 mL? 250 mL?

Or should I be more concerned with gravity than size? Say 500 mL, but with only 25 grams of DME?

Obviously I'm just throwing numbers out here, can anyone help?

I believe either would be ok . I have used an initial starter made from 150ml of 1.040 wort very successfully with a 375ml bottle on multiple occasions (I use a stir plate).

For all my bottle harvests I've followed a reommendation for 1/2 cup water to 1/2 oz DME with 1/8 tsp yeast nutrient (generally used for wines) , allow to ferment out for a couple days then add a 1 cup water mixed with 1 oz DME and 1/4 tsp nutrient, allow to ferment out for a couple days then add one last addition of 1 cup water, 1 oz DME and 1/4 tsp nutrient and allow to ferment out. I have no idea if this is optimal but I've had great results and wound up with a lot of yeast growth from it.

Back