Next brew recomendation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JGarner

Reaction score
Hello all. I am going to try a partial mash for my next brew and was looking at the kits and recipes from AHS. I have a couple of questions. First, I did some searching to find out what yeast fuel is and does but I really don't understand its effects on the final product. Second, does anyone with experience with these kits and recipes have any recomendations. (I find many APA's to be a little too hoppy for my taste so I was thinking of an Amber or an English Pale...the nut brown looks interesting too although I've never tasted one) Thanks in advance.

John

I would also like some advice on this I am bottling a Texas Blonde Ale this weekend that I used a Mini-Mash from AHS and so far it looks good and was simple to make. I am interested in an Amber or English Ale for my next brew. Thanks.

I haven't brewed an AHS kit in a while, but for several years I did a ton of them! They are all good, solid recipes with good ingredients. I can't remember all of the different ones I did now, but I remember going through a "commercial clone" streak in about 2006, where I did their clone kits of "Fat Tire", "Pete's Wicked Ale" and several others.

I really liked the Pete's and FT clone, and those might be right up your alley if you don't want something hoppy, but something with great rich flavor.

Have you ever tried Samuel Smiths Nut Brown? It is one of the best beers I have ever had and is not very hoppy. AHS has a clone kit for this. Its on my todo list

I would also like some advice on this I am bottling a Texas Blonde Ale this weekend that I used a Mini-Mash from AHS and so far it looks good and was simple to make.

Great recipe!

This is one of those beers that you give to people that are typically BMC drinkers. It's smooth, crisp and isn't too heavy. I really liked it a lot.

To the OP: Might I suggest their Cream Ale recipe. It's really tasty!

I would say try their Fat Tire clone, it is really good and very close to original it is their second most popular kit.

Wow. Thanks for all the quick responses. This forum is awesome! Fat Tire was the first craft beer I ever tasted...loved it. it was all I drank for a while. I think Im going to do a Fat Tire clone...followed by a nut brown...and then maybe a cream ale in the summer. Can anyone tell me what the difference might be between FT and Pete's wicked. (I have never tasted that)

Thanks I am new to Home Brewing as well and had to look up "BMC" as thats what i was, even worse sometimes, but since i have been trying new beers to save up bottles without screw off tops i have found a new liking, better beer. I am thinking maybe a Real Ale or Leinenkugel clone from AHS.

Pete's Wicked Ale is an American Brown Ale. The commerical version isn't that good anymore but back in the day it really kicked off the craft American Brown Ale style. Now every craft brewer out there has a Brown Ale in their lineup.

JGarner, I made their Bass clone that was very good.
J...KORTZ, I've used 20 Oz. soda bottles with no problems.

From my understanding, American Brown Ales tend to be a little more hoppy than their English counterparts. If you like smooth malty beers with mild bitterness, than go with an English style. Try out a few before deciding on making a 5 gallon batch. The Samuel Smith is a great example of an english version and Moose Drool is a good example of an American Brown

If you've never tried a nut brown, or any particular style you are considering making, I HIGHLY recomend you have a beer or 6 of that style before brewing it. You have to keep in mind there are plenty of varients within a style, but just to get a ballpark idea of the basic tastes. With me, for example, I tend to really not like brown ales for some reason. I would hate to brew a batch of one only to discover I don't like the style.

Have you tried an irish red ale? I haven't ever tried any AHS kits, but they probably have an irish red ale. Excellent IMO, not hoppy, and easy to make.

OP I've never heard of yeast fuel... anyone else know what AHS's yeast fuel is?

Have you tried an irish red ale? I haven't ever tried any AHS kits, but they probably have an irish red ale. Excellent IMO, not hoppy, and easy to make.

OP I've never heard of yeast fuel... anyone else know what AHS's yeast fuel is?

It's just a yeast nutrient that you add to the end of the boil.

In a cute little gelcap form factor. I just got a tube of the Wyeast stuff on my last order. Should last quite a few starters and brews.

I have that as a recipe saved at Brewmasters Warehouse already priced out all grain. I currently have Biermuncher's OctoberFast Ale fermenting right now, ordering the grain for EDWorts Ale in a few days.

I just bottled my first batch this morning. Its the Autumn Amber Ale from Midwest.

I pieced together an extract version of EDWorts Ale from Austin HBS that should be here in a few days.

I plan to try and get what I need from my LHBS to do a BIAB version and save some shipping for batch #3. They seem to have a pretty good stock of grains. Should make for an interesting comparison.

Another idea on a good brown ale would be a Fat Squirrel clone. Yoopers has one in her recipe database that looks yummy

Well I took Iron city's advice and bought a six pack of Oak Creek nut brown ale last night. It was tasty...but I don't see myself ever having more than one in a sitting so I am going to go with the FT clone. Thanks again for all the input. Nobody has any input on what that yeast fuel that AHS sells does for you beer huh?

John

I have used it sometimes and not used it sometimes, I can never really tell a difference. Proper amounts of healthy yeast is the key. Yeasts are pretty resilient these days. Whenever I get something from AHS I always throw it in. But if I do my own recipe at LHBS or order somewhere else I don't use it, and have seen no issues.

Well I took Iron city's advice and bought a six pack of Oak Creek nut brown ale last night. It was tasty...but I don't see myself ever having more than one in a sitting so I am going to go with the FT clone. Thanks again for all the input. Nobody has any input on what that yeast fuel that AHS sells does for you beer huh?

John

Not quite sure what is in the Yeast fuel, but it really seems to give you a faster starting and finishing fermentation. Whether or not that is better or gives you better beer is up for debate. I've used it and not used it. No big differences in taste that I've noticed. I do tend to use it in almost all my batches since I can only help things.

Also, I'm glad you took my advise.

Back