Re-use Antique 1942 Brittish Screw Top Beer Bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KurtK9

Reaction score
Has anyone had any success with re-using old bottles? I picked up an interesting one this weekend and I'm bottling today, I soaked it over night and cleaned it out pretty well, any reason why I shouldn't use it?

The bottle says Scarboro & Whitby Breweries and the bottle has 1942 embossed on it (British I assume). The screw top is pretty interesting (at least to me) since the top screws into the bottle as opposed to modern bottles where the top fits over the bottle. The glass is definitely heavier than the other bottles I was cleaning. The screw fits pretty well, I wonder if it'll hold carbonation though...

I found your question when I was looking for a picture of a screw-in top British beer bottle to illustrate Posting 106 of my weekly blog "Letter from Virgil".

In the blog I tell about my first attempt at beer making using those bottles, I didn't use a hydrometer and (well, you can read the posting).

The blog can be found at: http://letterfromvirgil.blogspot.com/

It has a link to this site.

Cheers!

I found your question when I was looking for a picture of a screw-in top British beer bottle to illustrate Posting 106 of my weekly blog "Letter from Virgil".

In the blog I tell about my first attempt at beer making using those bottles, I didn't use a hydrometer and (well, you can read the posting).

The blog can be found at: http://letterfromvirgil.blogspot.com/

It has a link to this site.

Cheers!

Wish I had more of the screw top bottles, but beer has been in the one I do have for almost a month. Soon it will be time to try it. Glad you successfully disposed of the explosive bottles, that's my only fear about brewing.

Back