Maybe this is a crazy idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't recommend it although I guess it would work. I could just think of the melt down you would experience if you ever had a stuck mash.

Maybe im mis-understanding the question but wouldnt the wort on;y go above 212 if it was under pressure? Meaning in a closed system where water vapor cant escape?

I had some experience selling CPVC, and you sparked my interest. I actually built a hopback out of S80 CPVC, but it never had 200F fluids passing through it.

Check out this site:

http://www.ppfahome.org/cpvc/faqcpvc.html

The key sentence is "CPVC systems conforming to ASTM D2846 are rated for continuous service at 100 psi and 180 degrees F" The pressure is not an issue, but the temperature might be.

Another site claims that Sch. 80 CPVC (usually gray) can handle up to 200 F.
http://www.bayportvalve.com/bayport2/PVC&CPVCfittings.htm

The CPVC "flowguard" that you see some people use for manifolds is white, sch 40, which I assume is the stuff rated for 180 F.

Hope that helps,
Joe

Maybe im mis-understanding the question but wouldnt the wort on;y go above 212 if it was under pressure? Meaning in a closed system where water vapor cant escape?

No, if there was just a little mash water in the RIMS tube due to no flow because of a stuck mash the mash water in the RIMS tube would boil in no time. If what you are suggesting was true we could never boil water on a stove.

No, if there was just a little mash water in the RIMS tube due to no flow because of a stuck mash the mash water in the RIMS tube would boil in no time. If what you are suggesting was true we could never boil water on a stove.

He's not saying it won't boil, he's saying it won't go above 212f.

I don't see why it isn't a good idea, but then again I don't know what kind of temperatures the mash will get to around the element.

The mash could go north of 212F, but not by much. The mash isn't pure water, it's got things dissolved in it as well that will raise the boiling point.

It's worth a shot - I was just thinking of what would happen to a melted-plastic-covered element if it got dry fired or all the wort boiled off.

Of course that's a risk in any RIMs tube, regardless of what it's made of. But this seems like a fire hazard to me.

Let us know how it works!

Back