Help with my "Ranger-inspired" IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnderPressure

Reaction score
I know some of you can help me with this simple recipe. I'm working on a basic American IPA (inspired by New Belgum's Ranger.) But I need help with the malt bill. I would like to do an extract batch with specialty grains. Here is my hop schedule.

1 oz Simcoe 60 min
1 oz Chinook 30 min
1 oz Cascade 15 min
1 oz Cascade 5 min

I would like around 6.5% ABV, if possible. I figure a light extract and caramel grains makes sense, but I'm not sure of the type or amounts. This is the first recipe I've attempted to construct. Also, would it make more sense to dry hop with the cascade instead of adding more at the 5 minute mark?

I know from the bottle they say 3lbs of hops per barrel or 1.5oz per gallon. I would bitter wish chinook

then flavor additions with simcoe, chinook and cascade

then dry hop with cascade again

So, you are looking at around 7.5oz of hops for 5 gallons if you are doing a full boil. Something like this maybe

1.5oz chinook @ 60
.75 oz cascade @10
.75 oz chinook @10
.75 oz simcoe @10
1 oz cascade @0
1 oz chinook @0
1 oz simcoe @0
1 oz dry hop of cascade

They mention a dark crystal but don't give the color of the beer but I don't remember it being dark even for an ipa

I would say go with something like .75lb of C80

get your gravity to 1.065

wyeast has it as a private collection every so often

This is also a inspired beer not a total clone so go with what you want.

4thQVSS2007Front.jpg

4thQVSS2007Back.gif

Cool. I had no idea. One last thing: how would I determine the amount of extract to use for an OG of 1.065? (I know this is probably a noob question)

It sounds like you don't have any software yet. It will be the best homebrewing investment you can make. I use Beersmith

For a free one check out

http://beercalculus.hopville.com/recipe

looks like 9lbs of LME would get 1.065 for 5 gallons

DME will be a little less

I made a pass at cloning this myself. The hop flavor was really close, but I agree with the above; with a generic yeast it didn't come out as a true 'clone'. With 7.5 oz of hops (and a listed IBU of 70), you'll want to push a lot of the hop additions to later in the boil.

Don't know if it'll help, but here's my recipe:

11 # 2 row
1 # Crystal 60

Mashed for 60 minutes @ 150

.5 oz Simcoe @ 60
.5 oz Chinook @ 60
2 oz Cascade @ 10
.75 oz Chinook @ 10
.75 oz Simcoe @ 10
1 oz Cascade @ flame out
2 oz Cascase @ dry hop
(the 10 minutes additions were mixed together and continuously hopped a few pellets at a time)

WLP001 as the yeast.

Heres the recipe i worked up, I have not brewed it yet, and im not a fan of the beer, but the woman loves the stuff so its on deck for happening soon.

8lb Briess Pilsen LME
1lb Crystal 40
1lb Carapils
1oz Chinook 60
1oz Chinook 20
2oz Cascade 20
0.5oz Chinook 10
2oz Simcoe 1
1oz Cascade dryhop

i will probably use WLP051 for the yeast and some whirlfloc at 15min. I am still tuning the recipe, but here it is for what its worth.

Have you brewed this yet? I brewed a Ranger-inspired brew yesterday. I tweaked the grain bill a bit to be more interesting to my tastes but kept the hops, IBU, ABV and estimated color in line with the original. I also read on the NB site that they use a light and a dark caramel in the malt bill. I chose to go with Pacman yeast.
Here's my recipe:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/help-ranger-ipa-inspired-recipe-198518/#post2314882

The Nov issue of BYO had the recipe in both AG and extract. I brewed it but found the hops to be very grapefruity. Anyone else experience this?

Is there a link to the recipe? I'd like to see it... I'm actually drinking my ranger recipe right now. It turned out really well. I can't think of anything I would change, except maybe a lil more dry hop. My recipe doesn't have an overpowering grapefruit character.

Back