Mash Tun Cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rafae

Reaction score
Hello,

I am preparing to begin AG brewing and I was wondering if i can clean out an old cooler to convert to a mash tun or if i need to buy a new one. I understand that a cooler with scratches in it is bad but this one looks to be alright, only a couple smaller scratches that i can see.

s

I have a few old coolers, but I think I'm gonna buy a new one. That said though, this is pre-boil, so conceivable, anything bad would be sanitized and killed during the boil...

Scratches mean nothing in a MT. No difference old or new IMO. Just about any cooler I have seen will work for batch sparging. Just be sure to preheat, and it will hold temps well enough for conversion.

yeah i got mine from a friend and i think the only time i took soap and water to it is when i first got it. all i do to clean it is just spray the crap out of it with a hose.

are you planning on building a manifold or using a SS braid? I found a lot of helpful information in this forum regarding my conversion.

My only regret is not spacing my manifold piping closer together, although i still can fix this. I had planned on a round cooler but they were out of stock at home depot so i decided to convert a regular cooler that someone had left at my house. Also, even with the dremel, drilling slits in my manifold has been a bit of a pain. i'm looking into other ways to cut

I had a lot of great success with my first mash tun, which was converted from an old ice chest I had laying around. There is no risk with the scratches, if any. As many already posted, mashing is pre-boil, so there's is no risk of contamination at this point in the process.

Back