anybody ever try secondary fermenting or aging an IPA in an oak barrel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STLExpat

Reaction score
Got a lot of ideas bouncing around in my head and this was one of them since that's how they were shipped back in the day, and a brewing supply store nearby has some 1 and 3 liter oak barrels for sale. Thoughts?

That seems to be a new trend in IPA-land. I have had a few commercial examples, and I was not very fond of it, so I have not tried it out. But, some big brewers are doing it, so give it a shot and see if you like it.

since that's how they were shipped back in the day

the casks they were shipped in were lined and essentially saw no oak. just use chips or cubes if you want to try it, much cheaper and more functional than such a small barrel. the oaked IPAs I've had are OK, but i'd prefer a fresher IPA

Go get some dogfish head burton baton its a barrel aged ipa. My honest opinion is that the oak taste is subtle and not worth the time

Yeah, I may just go the chip route then to see how it turns out. What about Belgian beers though? My wife got me a recipe book that had instructions to make a bourbon dubbel, and Schlafly released a very limited amount of something they called a bourbon barrel quadrupel. Sold out within an hour of its release

id go with cubes or spirals, they take longer but its a more complex flavor.

Back