Feedback on Proposed Design

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

howabouttheiris

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just looking for any feedback. Seen several single pot commercial threads and a well written Single Pot Electric thread.

I think this method would suit me well. I am not concerned about it being a 65% efficient system. I just really like the simplicity of the setup.

My Brewing:

- Mainly PM
- Would like to do "normal gravity" all grain BIAB

My Thoughts:

- Single aluminum Stock Pot 60qt with steamer basket (found a combo with 3" under the basket for element and valve room)
- use basket for BIAB
- single PID, SSR
- single 5500W 240V element
- 10' extension cord to get me from Dryer plug (just inside back door into garage)
- 1 pump to cycle water during mash and to pump out
- valve near bottom
- temperature sensor

Process:

- circulate mash (pid ctrl)
- circulate and step temp on pid up for mash out
- remove grain basket (allow to hang for a bit to drain)
- top up, if req'd for 10g batch
- boil in pot
- chill in pot with tap water chiller
- pump to fermentor

my only concern would be the amount of space under the steamer basket would be too small to fit everything. i guess with this method you wouldnt need a false bottom for recirculation, but having a metal basket that close to the heating element would bother me.

also, if you have that internal basket, that doesnt leave you much room to play with for the location of your thermometer/temp sensor. it would pretty much have to be mounted at the very bottom near the element, which isnt the most ideal for temp readings.

im sure it will still make beer never the less. good luck man.

After some feedback....

1. I think I will go to the 88qt pot to ensure I have sufficient room for 10g batches. AHS sale this week!!!

2. For the thermo, I need to do some thinking. I agree with audger that the bottom may cause premature shut off due to the small distance from the heater. Other posts show that putting it after the pump causes issues if you have to shut the pump down for any reason.

ONE OPTION: I can rig up a foodsafe, floating raft with the thermocouple poking thru the hull. This solves the basket/nobasket case and puts the thermocouple safely in the middle of the water and away from the sides.

Anyone do a "throw in from the top" thermocouple?

Latest posts

Back