Yeast behavior

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessefive

Reaction score
This is a general question. I suppose its regarding the behavior of yeast. If yeast is alive, then it should continue to convert sugars to alcohol, as long as there is sugar to be consumed, correct?

So, what if you added more malt extract (a substantial amount) to either the primary or secondary? Would this ferment and add to the alcohol content? Is this even possible?

Perhaps this is the idea behind "dubbel" and "trippel" belgians?

It's not how dubbel & trippels are made, but it works. More people will do a late sugar addition to ciders and wines than ales. The big problem you would have is most ale & lager yeasts "hit the wall" around 8%. You also trash the bittering/alcohol balance. I've used the technique on a barleywine, but decided I get better results putting all of the malt in at the beginning.

david_42 said:
It's not how dubbel & trippels are made, but it works. More people will do a late sugar addition to ciders and wines than ales. The big problem you would have is most ale & lager yeasts "hit the wall" around 8%. You also trash the bittering/alcohol balance. I've used the technique on a barleywine, but decided I get better results putting all of the malt in at the beginning.
...besides, the style of the flavor comes from the type of yeast used...

I just smack my yeast around a bit and say, "Hey, yeast, you get in the fermenter, and make me some beer!" That usually gets them to behave.
:rockin:

Yuri_Rage said:
I just smack my yeast around a bit and say, "Hey, yeast, you get in the fermenter, and make me some beer!" That usually gets them to behave.
:rockin:

Now ya cant do dat wit lager yeast, dem's like deb-you-taunts. Yous gotsta treat dem right. Now dem ales yeasts . . . dems like the hoes of yeast. You just wave a dollah in front of dem and dey do watevah yous wants dem to do.

I wish I could find that MP3 from the brewing network

Back