Fruit Beer Gray Pale (Grape ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluelinebrewer

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Red Star Champagne Yeast
Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
1.5 days @ 68*F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 @ 73*F
Additional Fermentation
None
Tasting Notes
Light, nice grape aroma and taste.
This was an attempt to clone a Boulevard Brewing recipe for their Test Grape Nelson. I received their recipe from one of their brewers. It came close to theirs, but not an exact clone. It's still a very tasty beer! I would have liked it to be just a bit drier.

Grain bill:
6.5# Pale malt

Hop schedule:
45 min .15 oz Nelson Sauvin (NZ) - 12.4%
15 min .35 oz Nelson Sauvin (NZ) - 12.4%
3 min .15 oz Nelson Sauvin (NZ) - 12.4%

Other:
3 (750 mL) bottles of Muscat grape juice.
I got mine from here http://www.castellodiamorosa.com/Shop/Non-Alcoholic but I would assume any brand would work. My brother-in-law is a member of their wine club, so he got it at a discounted rate.

Yeast:
Red Star Champagne yeast

Mashed at 154℉, then double sparged at 185℉. I shot for a post boil volume of just under 5 gallons. After the wort cools, add the 3 bottles of grape juice. That should bring you up to 5.5 gallons. OG should be 1.042. Pitch yeast and ferment at 68℉. When your gravity hits 1.024, temp up to 73℉. (I'm not sure exactly what that step is for, but, that was part of the recipe I got from the brewery.) Your FG should be 1.008. Mine ended up staying in primary for almost a month (life happens) but I'm sure that long of a primary isn't necessary.

The grape flavor is a nice light flavor, and not a Hubba Bubba grape bubblegum flavor.

Thanks for this recipe, I had the Boulevard Entwined Ale while I was back in KC a couple of months ago, and my wife has demand that I brew it for her since we can't seem to find it in Oregon. What was your post boil gravity? I am planning on using a muscat concentrate instead of the juice. However I am not sure what your efficiency is like to know how to modify the grain amounts for my set up, as well as what the brix was of the juice you used.

Back