Some first Partial Mash Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

histo320

Reaction score
This thread should get some of you seasoned brewers some well deserved likes.

I will be doing my first All Grain brew here in a few weeks. Here is my method:

• Step 1 - Mash grains in 5 Gallon Jug at temp of 150F for 30-60 Minutes (depending on the recipe)
  • Step 2 - Empty first mash into brew kettle
  • Step 3 - Sparge the grains for 5-10 minutes
  • Step 4 - Empty sparge into brew kettle
  • Step 5 - Brew recipe as normal adding DME to get to final gravity

To my questions:
1)Does the above method suffice?

2)How much grain should I expect to use with this method? I was originally thinking 5 lbs but that was before I got a free 5 gal jug from my employer. I believe the more the grain the better correct? I know it depends on the style.

3) Is Beersmith 2.1 any better than 1.4? I know the layout is a bit different but is it worth the $23.95 upgrade or am I fine with 1.4?

4)How do I enter my "Mash Profile" in Beersmith? I know the basic inputs (water amount, water temp) is there a preset for the method I stated above?

5)What are the conversions for Grain to LME and Grain to DME? I am hoping to avoid using either but want to ensure there are enough fermentables. I am sure there will be a learning curve so the LME and DME are there to improve on the mistakes that may be made.

Any help will be much appreciated.

I've put some recipes into Beersmith and they seem to be coming out okay as far as OG and fitting into the beer styles.

I am basing the recipes around 2-row, is that a good base malt to start with?

I am planning on using 10 lbs per brew too much or too little?

Back