Adding Sink to Dry Bar using Gray Water Pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kzimmer0817

Reaction score
I wasn't sure where to post this question, since I plan to have this done professionally.

Within the next few weeks we will be moving into a "new" house that has a fantastic unfinished area in which to e-brew. Additionally, there is a very nice serving bar in one of the finished rooms. Unfortunately, this bar has no sink. The plumbing is overhead in this basement until it reaches the far end, so cutting into the slab is probably not an option.

Does anyone have any experience with gray water lift stations for use in basements? It has become very common in my area to install sewage lift stations below the slab for plumbing basement baths in new homes. But . . . I'm not looking to lift solid waste uphill, just sink water.

I searched some DIY forums and found the following pump recommended - especially where folks were trying to install laundry rooms in unplumbed basements:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001DEOFLW/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I will likely call a plumber to evaluate my situation. I'd like to install a sink into the bar as well as have a sink in the unfinished shop (where I see the drain pipes right above my head.

Anyway, I'd appreciate hearing of your experiences and recommendations.

Thanks,
Keith

Last edited by a moderator:
It will work no problem, A check valve is very important, also you need to know whats on the line your taping into, so waste water from upstairs is not trying to drain into your sump. best to tie in when the line is heading up through the floor(vertical ) ,than on a horizontal line.

Usually you should tie into the main stack , also keep in mind the sink needs a vent line ..

My utility sink in the basement has a pump in a crock similar to this one

http://www.plumbersurplus.com/Prod/...val-System-10-Power-Cord-505055/13089/Cat/688

Works great gives you the flexibility to put a sink in a remote area.

Also the vent line is only needed when tying into a sink directly into the sanitary system. The basin has a vent on it to take of the sink trap and keep it from sucking dry. The pump discharge should be tied into the top of the horizontal sewer main with a tee.

We use those set ups at my job, the only problem is that water in the lines can get funky if they don't have flow through them regularly. It smells like stale egg farts when when we come in Monday morning after the water sat all weekend. I hope your experience is better.

Back