first batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longroad

Reaction score
i am a week into the fermenting process with my first batch of home brew and decided to go with nut brown ale to kick it off. So far it has gone well and am planning the next batch already. Have a couple of questions though first my brother-inlaw recommended that i transfer from my 6.5 gal ferm bucket to my 5 gal carboy after the first week of fermenting good idea or bad? If good what is the process to getting the beer from one to the other without introducing more oxygen? Second i was planning on bottleing the first batch and then moving to corny keg with the second batch any thoughts?

For what you're doing, a secondary us not required and, in my opinion, a waste of time. However, this is the most debated topic on this forum so you will have to figure out your preference.

Kegging is so much easier than bottling, so I say go for it.

I agree with wilsojos. I never bother putting my lower gravity beers in secondary, anymore. It's just one more way to introduce oxygen into your beer and isn't really necessary. I only use a secondary if I plan on an extended fermentation. If you search the topic, you can find some fairly heated debates.

+1 on the kegging, too. It is probably the one thing I have done to increase my enjoyment of the hobby.

Thanks for the input so the double ferm is put and after this first batch bottleing is out as well and am now in the market for a corny keg set up

longroad said:
Thanks for the input so the double ferm is put and after this first batch bottleing is out as well and am now in the market for a corny keg set up

That's what I'm talking about!!! Brew on!!!

Cheers!!!

JW

Back