To much Priming sugar for kegging!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mela4

Reaction score
Whats going to happen to my beer? I was not thinking and I added 3/4 cup of priming sugar instead of the 1/3 cup that I should have, when kegging beer. Will my beer still be drinkable or should I just start over? Or how could i cut back the carbonation? What sucks is the beer tasted great.

thanks for any info

mela4

All that will happen is the pressure will be too high. (on the order of 60 psi) Just burp it (pull the ring on the relief valve) and that should take care of the problem. I'd toss a wet wash cloth over the valve to contain the spray.

Are you aware that you don't need to add any priming sugar? You can just hook the keg up to the C02 and let it sit for 3-5 days at serving pressure.

Thanks for your help! I did add the priming sugar to see if the tast and the % of alcohol would be different. Just a trial on my part!

That 1/3 C CS is what you would use if you are kegging an entire batch in 4 - 5 liter mini-kegs.

Other than that it's 2 TBS CS each mini-keg.

As for cornies, you don't need any priming sugar, but that's already been mentioned.:D

Latest posts

Back