My neighbors think I'm operating a meth lab

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why not? I saw an article on the TV a while back that basically explains how it works and it's not much harder than making beer IMO. I want to do it, but since I can't stand hard liquor, I see it as an exercise only, and probably nothing I'd want to stick with.

I imagine that if you did it, you'd probably make some darn good liquor! Too bad it's illegal... :(

Yeah, I'm tempted by the process, but I wouldn't be able to handle actually drinking it. I would never be sober!! I would need a drunken lab rat to sample the results.

There will be a kazillion lab rats following this post. ;)

I've always wondered what people would think if they saw some of the normal things used in home brew... leafy greens in bags in the fridge, bags of fine white powder above it... home brew is a good cover story :)

One of the cryopacked nitro sealed bags of hops in my freezer is suspiciously unlike the other 32. You would be very hard pressed to tell though. They smell very similar when opened and not at all while sealed.

One time a friend of mine was waiting for me when i got home. I also had a package sitting on the front porch. As we are walking in the house i open it and say, "this is not anywhere near the same color green as it was in the picture."

My friend looks up and says very calmly, "I didn't know you could buy that on ebay."

yeah and when I brew at my other friends house he often does it in a dress. Which i am sure the neighbors think is odd for reasons other than the pot of boiling liquid, the hoses, the green leafy stuff, and the powders.

When I roll this thing out my neighbors always make comments on what I am doing. (though they know myself and my wife better)

DSCN0989.JPG

People are so dumb.... it never ceases to amaze me.

'Is that Meth you are brewing?'

'Yep, I am brewing a highly illegal substance by the gallon out in my garage with the door up so everyone can see me. Also, I tell everyone about it and don't deny it when random people ask.'

dumb, dumb, dumb

Even if they say it as a joke it isn't funny. My BIL said this the first time he say my brewery. I like him a lot, but the comment did not help his stock.

My typical response is, "No. How do you know this stuff is used to make meth? Maybe I should report you to the authorities for having suspicious knowledge of meth brewing."

A few years ago, a neighbor across the alley would throw away plastic jugs and assorted bags of trash ONLY when the garbage truck was in front of his house. We suspected that they were running a meth lab (visitors all hours of the day or night were also factors in our suspicion).

His neighbor moved out of his rented house in the middle of the night one time, and we were treated with FBI, Postal Inspectors, and city cops on three separate occasions about their whereabouts. Ha! So much for the meth lab theory...surely three different law enforcement agencies would figure out what was going on at this house across from us.

A couple years after we moved, we saw the dude on the news after SWAT invaded his house to find which, at the time was described to be "the most elaborate marijuana growing operation in a Salt Lake City home" up to that point. Ha! So we were suspicious, but got the drugs wrong. They should've just thrown out their trash like normal people...nobody would be suspicious of spent jugs of fertilizer!

The moral of the story, I bring my homebrewing supplies into the house in cardboard boxes or plastic bags :cross:

Back