Cleanliness - new batch on top of old

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slipgate

Reaction score
I know most people will probably say, "Thoroughly clean the keg after each batch". But is this really necessary?

Say I blow through a new keg in a weekend and have a batch of the same type of beer ready to keg the next week, what really would happen if I just dump it in the same keg with no washing/cleaning at all? I've not tried it but I don't see a big issue. Maybe even use the keg for 2-3 batches before a thorough cleaning.

What about the same thing with a different type of beer (IPA vs Stout for example)?

I assume it probably be fine, but when you start cutting corners is when things go bad. Why not just take the 10 min to clean and sanitize the keg before racking a new brew?

Do ya just fill up yesterdays beer glass or do you wash and rinse it. I usually go straight from primary to the keg so there can be some yeast in the keg. At a minimum I always rinse w/ hot water and then do a quick soak w/ star san.

I've wondered about the merits of sanitizing a keg...my keeezer is pretty cold, do bugs grow at 38f ?

Mike

I agree with Chello. Give it a bit of additional time and clean the keg. Eventually, you will be happy you did. It may take a while, but it will come back to get you if you don't. Pay special attention to the tapper, too.

I've wondered about the merits of sanitizing a keg...my keeezer is pretty cold, do bugs grow at 38f ?

Yes. the mold in my keezer proves it ;)

remember that the inside of a keg *should* be a sanitized, clean environment after you blow foam...so as long as you don't introduce new bugs during racking, its fairly safe to rack on top, espeically if its the same recipe...so there's no mixing of different flavors.

only possible downside would be a thicker yeast cake in the bottom of the keg, and depending on your secondary practices, and the fact you can just chill it a few days, crash the yeast, then pour most of it out in the first draw...its not that big of a concern at all.

Back