Old yeast contaminate the next batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Handy

Reaction score
I made a nice saison a few months back using a white labs strain. I recently made a pale ale using Columbus, Cascade, and Centennial hops in the same carboy. I just opened the first bottle today and there is certainly a yeast esther like the saison that overwhelms any hoppiness. The pale ale used a wlp001. The carboy was completely sanitized with star san....any thoughts?

Just pointing out that you mention sanitizing but not cleaning. The two are not the same.

and, whats worse, is that you made a saison! those things are terrible!

(i know a lot of people like Saison's, but seriously, they aren't good)

The saison funk will certainly stick around if you don't thoroughly clean AND sanatize the carboy between batches....like twice as much cleaning as you would normally would.

fermenting to hot will give of "belgian" esters

BUTT like mnay have said, cleaning and sanatizing are 2 VERY different procedures.

Yes, I do both clean and sanitize between batches. Thanks for the replies. Fermenting too hot may be the issue, it has been mid to high seventies where I ferment this summer.

Back