Final gravity low

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

telebrewer

Reaction score
My final gravities are coming in at 1.010 to 1.004. I brew IPA's. I always hear of FG's at 1.012 or higher. Is there something I should be worried about? Like infection?

My final gravities are coming in at 1.010 to 1.004. I brew IPA's. I always hear of FG's at 1.012 or higher. Is there something I should be worried about? Like infection?

Have you checked that your hydrometer is properly calibrated? Should be tested in distilled water at the correct temperature (usually printed on hydro) and read 1.000 . Could be as simple as that before you start looking at other factors.

I assume you're doing all grain? What temp are you mashing at and have you checked your thermometer to make sure it's accurate?

^^^^^ What they said. Also, you haven't mentioned a recipe and yeast strain - that could be your answer. For example, if your beer/recipe had an OG of 1.040 and you used a highly attenuating strain of yeast (say US-05) then I would expect a low final gravity.

My grain bill is:
15# 2 row
1# crystal 10L
.5 # carapils

I mash at 150-152. 60 min.

I pitch one vial White Labs WLP-001

I'll check the hydrometer for calibration. What are some reasons for low final gravity if the hydrometer is reading correctly? Mine are always under 1.010.

My grain bill is:
15# 2 row
1# crystal 10L
.5 # carapils

I mash at 150-152. 60 min.

I pitch one vial White Labs WLP-001

I'll check the hydrometer for calibration. What are some reasons for low final gravity if the hydrometer is reading correctly? Mine are always under 1.010.

Increase your mash temperature - get more nonfermentable sugars out.

The two main reasons for low FG in AG are: low mash temperatures and minimal specialty grains. Both give you highly fermentable worts.

The original IPA style used cane sugar to produce a drier finish, so if you like your current results, just enjoy.

Back