Wanting To Experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don "Ho"

Reaction score
Ok, I am going to start my own experiment. I have made the Ancient Orange, and liked it. I was thinking about doing the same thing but change from Oranges to Blackberries and a different yeast. Can I just put them in like I did the oranges?

Thanks

Don "Ho"

mash em up a little first.

I always buy frozen, unsweetened berries. Thaw halfway, then squeeze the bag a bit. helps break up the cell walls and release the flavors and sugars.

definitely go with a brewing yeast and not bread yeast. Remember Joe developed that recipe so anyone could make it. everyone has a grocery store with honey, oranges, and baking yeast.

Well, I tried my blackberry mead this morning. Can you say HOLY SH**T!!!.
I guess I put in too much blackberries as this thing is foaming so much I cant keep a lid on it.

Recipe:
3# Blackberries
3# Honey
.5 packet of Lalvain -1118 yeast
.25 ts of Yeast nutrient
Enough water to fill a 1 gallon jug to about an 1.5 from the top

1/2 hour later its foaming and coming out the top. Ok filled it too much.
Well it has now been 6 hours later and I am still trying to keep it from blowing the airlock out the top.

What should I do now? What the hell did I do wrong? Keeps up, I may just trash this batch and try again later..

Don "Ho"

Don "Ho";687249 said:
Well, I tried my blackberry mead this morning. Can you say HOLY SH**T!!!.
I guess I put in too much blackberries as this thing is foaming so much I cant keep a lid on it.

Recipe:
3# Blackberries
3# Honey
.5 packet of Lalvain -1118 yeast
.25 ts of Yeast nutrient
Enough water to fill a 1 gallon jug to about an 1.5 from the top

1/2 hour later its foaming and coming out the top. Ok filled it too much.
Well it has now been 6 hours later and I am still trying to keep it from blowing the airlock out the top.

What should I do now? What the hell did I do wrong? Keeps up, I may just trash this batch and try again later..

Don "Ho"

I made a "no water" orange melomel a while back, and had that problem the first few days... what I did was to take the top off of a 3-piece airlock, attach a half-inch hose to it, and run the hose into another gallon jug half filled with sanitizing solution. After a few days, it settled down, and I put a conventional airlock back on it.

Just rig up a blow-off system. Should be OK.

Thanks ThorsSon. Made me up a giant air lock with another jug and more vodka. Works great.

Don "Ho"

Back