Session Beer Aging Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhern053

Reaction score
For session beers that don't really need too much time to age (Irish Red, IPA, Amber, Pale), I've been doing a simple system:

1 week in primary
1 week in secondary
1 week cold aging in keg/force carbing ("set-and-forget" method)

My question is if the force carbonation is interfering with any aging. Should I cold age it for a week, then hit it with the co2? Or should I just save time by aging AND carbing at the same time?

Thanks!

^^ Link points to same thread....

What temp are you chilling/force carbing at?

If you want to do this quickly, but are doing the set and forget method for carbing, you are under-carbing the beer. You need 2 weeks for this, and session beers are generally a little higher in the co2 range. 2-3 weeks for full carbonation. If you are force-carbing at 50*, you would get some aging during this process. I don't know the cutoff, but I'm pretty sure if you are below 40* you aren't getting any of the aging....just dropping out suspended yeast.

But yeah....aging depends on temp, not the co2. You can age while carbing up, as long as the temp is not too cold. This is why lots of people keg, hit it with co2, then let it age until they are ready to drink....throwing it on the gas line and give it a shake for a few days.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/kegging-bulk-aging-when-hit-co2-102849/

My keezer is at about 42* F, so maybe a bit too cold for aging. I guess the method I use for carbing isn't really a "set-and-forget." I put it at 40psi for a few days and then lower it.

But I understand the aging/temperature thing. I'll see if I can be patient enough to let it age one week before putting it in the keezer. Sometimes it's not necessary though. My Irish Red was perfect after 7 days of fermentation. Young as heck but already tasting great. Thanks Luke

I brew with a buddy of mine. He always wants to wait like 3 extra weeks after its been 4-5 weeks post brew-day. I'm ready to drink it straight out of the primary. I feel your pain on finding patience.

Also - why the secondary? Especially for session beers and at these time frames, I wouldn't bother taking it out of the primary vessel.

I agree on skipping the secondary. I like to run three weeks in primary then straight to keg on my session beers. The extra contact with the yeast will help clean up any kinks in the beer. And you can crash cool the primary if you are concerned with clarity.

Mostly out of habit I guess. Also because my carboys aren't the smooth ones, they're the italian ones with a window-pane looking design, so sometimes when the yeast and trub settle they fall not to the bottom but onto the sides of the carboy. A good swirl helps clean it off the sides, but I guess a secondary is just habit.

Latest posts

Back