Beer makes my mouth feel numb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodwardj

Reaction score
I made my first batch of hefeweizen (which was also my first all grain batch). It is very cloudy. There is lots of sediment in the bottom that is grey in color and smells like bread yeast. When I drink a few sips, it makes my tongue feel a bit numb and then my mouth starts to produce phlegm. It doesn't taste horrible, but it certainly doesn't taste great either. I have opened 2 bottles and have been unable to get even 1/4 of either of them down as my mouth gets all funky when I drink it. Is it safe to say it is infected?

Phenol is the active ingredient for Chloraseptic.

How hot did you ferment that hef?

I had a batch of sorghum brew that tasted vaguely of Chloraseptic and would make your tongue go numb as well. It was fermented at 85ish and was my inspiration to finally make a temperature controlled fermentation cabinet.

whatisitgoodfor, I had the same thing happen to one of my beers. It was so strange, but it was the high ferment temp that caused it in my case as well. In fact I think I may have posted something very similar to what you did. Just chalk it up as a learning experience.

Interesting problem. First thing that came to my mind was allergy also but I could see the phenol explaination also. I could see how it could cause this type of reaction.

It was fermented at around 72-73 degrees, atleast whenever I checked it. I don't think the temperature was fluctuating much, but I wasn't checking it that often.

It was fermented at around 72-73 degrees, atleast whenever I checked it. I don't think the temperature was fluctuating much, but I wasn't checking it that often.

How do you check the temperature? I use a digital device and with a towel wrapped around my carboy it can be 8 degrees or so above ambient.

How do you check the temperature? I use a digital device and with a towel wrapped around my carboy it can be 8 degrees or so above ambient.

I just have a thermometer sticker stuck on the side of my carboy.

The plastic self sticking fermometers are an inexpensive way to keep an eye on your fermentation temp. Not quite as accurate as a digital thermometer but close enough.

Back