fermentation possibly done?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

finlayj

Reaction score
Making my first batch, a dunkleweisen.

The OG was 1.052. The range given in the recipe for FG is 1.012-1.015.

I brewed on 12/31/11. I checked the FG on 1/5/12 and it was 1.021. Checked again today 1/7/12, and it is still at 1.021.

I will be racking this in a secondary. I've read on here to not rack until the fermentation is done. And to know it's done, you take FG tests back to back (and I'll take another tomorrow) to confirm it's staying level.

My question is; is it ok to rack now? It seems the fermentation may be done, however it has not reached the "specified" range. I know that kit directions and info isn't always the best. I know that it will have about 2 weeks in the secondary to age and clarify, but im sure it will continue to ferment a little and given me a different FG prior to bottling.

Thoughts and thanks!

I would leave it in primary,you dont have to do secondary if you dont want to.What temp do you have it at currently? Well i guess if for a 3 day check and no drop in gravity then its done fermenting,unless you have it sitting pretty cold.What yeast did you use also? There are various reasons for a higher finish gravity,like mash temp,yeast,im guessing its your yeast, the finish gravity stated in brew calcs. has a yeast attenuation percent to adjust for finish gravity.Its not always accurate as even the yeast attenuation range varies also so the same yeast also can give you different finishes.

Sounds like it's stuck to me. OG 1.052 should get down to 1.012-1.015. I've gotten 1.050's down to 1.010. So rouse the yeast by gently swirling the fermenter (no splashing!). Then cover it with an old winter coat or blanket to warm it up some. At only 7 or 8 days,it shouldn't be quite done yet,ime.

It was sitting pretty cold for awhile. It's a wheat yeast. I moved wrapped it in a heavy blanket, and the outside temps (in pittsburgh) have gotten warmer, hence the beer has too. It's around 64 now, was at 61ish for awhile.

I am seeing this a lot right now with the colder temps and newer brewers in my club. Here in Nor-Cal and the bay area it has been like gorgeous spring days since right before Xmas. The days are typically 61-63, but night time gets down to 36. If you are leaving your fermenters outside that is a huge shock to your yeast, and will most likely result in a stuck fermentation or low attenuation.

I am seeing this a lot right now with the colder temps and newer brewers in my club. Here in Nor-Cal and the bay area it has been like gorgeous spring days since right before Xmas. The days are typically 61-63, but night time gets down to 36. If you are leaving your fermenters outside that is a huge shock to your yeast, and will most likely result in a stuck fermentation or low attenuation.

oh yeah, i just saw he was mentioning outside temps.

OP, you're not fermenting that outside with no temp control, are you?

Yeah,you dont want those huge drops.It was stuck,keep it around 70 for a few weeks.
A big part of homebrewing is maintaing temps during fermentation and before bottleing, the yeast do the rest but you need to help them out and keep them a steady temp.

No no no, definitely not fermenting outside. It just got really cold here for a week or so, temps into the single digits. Since we don't have control over the heat in our apartment, it got a little colder inside as well.

Sorry for the confusion there.

Below 60 your ferment,could possibly still drop and it definatly is slower then, im always hesitate to go too low because im afraid of it not completing,issues im having now.

An update. I racked to secondary and it's been there for two weeks.

The gravity is still at 1.021, it hasn't moved.

I'm planning on bottling tomorrow.

Thoughts?

Should I wait or do we think it's safe to bottle?

Thanks!

I'd be leary about it,but being a dunkel it might have enough un-fermentables in it to keep the FG up. Besides low temp stall.

Yah I really can't tell. I feel that if it's been at the same FG for over 2 weeks it should be good to go.

But being a noob, I really have no idea what I'm talking about.

My fear is not having succesfully roused the yeast,that the priming sugar might rouse them. Could turn into beercano city.

How can I do that? Should I stir inside of the carboy gently and see if I get any results tomorrow?

Don't stir it! Just tip it on it's edge & gently swirl it around without splashing to get some yeast back in suspension. Then warm it up. At least put an old winter coat or blanket around it. That should knock off a few points.

Ok, I'll try that. Don't worry, I know not to cause any aeration.

It's wrapped up in a heavy winter blanket now.

Thanks for the help

I doubt your gravity will move after 2 weeks secondary,but i would get the temps up over the course of 3 days or more then check to make shure,and bottle.If i ferment at a low temp i tend to at least bring it closer to room temp within the last week.
I guess you didnt mention what temp you had it in secondary-its probably givin all its got.Unless your yeast was too cold and went dormant.If it was above 60 i would just bottle it,checking the hydrometer.

The majority of ale yeasts work above 60F. so it's likely just dormant for whatever reason. That happend to my Burton ale at 68F. I did as I suggested to him & knocked off 2 more points. It's always worth one last shot at avoiding beercanos.

The majority of ale yeasts work above 60F. so it's likely just dormant for whatever reason. That happend to my Burton ale at 68F. I did as I suggested to him & knocked off 2 more points. It's always worth one last shot at avoiding beercanos.

I agree. I'm going to let it bottle condition for about 3 weeks anyways, so whats a couple more days just to be sure?

On that note, 3 weeks sound ok for a dunkle? I've read that hefe's are better younger or something...?

Being a dunkel,it's a little darker,yes? Darker beers can take longer to carbonate,ime. Doesn't have to be high gravity,I think because of the darker malts used.

Going to check the fg tuesday. if it's the same then I think I'm going to bottle...unless anyone has any strong objections

Back