Who Refills Your CO2 Tank? (not your LHBS?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've always go to welding places and swapped bottles. When I moved here, the shop wanted to know if I minded getting an aluminum tank back. Apparently, some of their customers will NOT use anything except steel tanks. Can't say I minded, a full AL tank weights about the same as an empty steel one.

I don't mind paying to get it re-certified, since the 20lb cylinder only cost me $30, half full. I'm just worried about the coca-cola stamp making the tank unusable. :(

If it's now *your* tank, just fill the Coke stamp in with bondo and repaint it. I repaint my 15# every couple of years cause it gets banged around a lot. Airgas will just toss a new CO2 sticker on it for ya when you bring it in.

Ideally you want to follow proper color coding, so paint it grey. I painted mine red initially and was questioned about what gas was in the tank previously. Apparently red means Hydrogen or another flammable gas. Oops. :)

I usually go to one of the closest beer distributors or a welding place who is also close.

beerloaf

Back