Easy hop strain to grow?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canuck137

Reaction score
Can anyone give me their 2 cents on some of the easier hop strains to grow?

Want to give it a try and would rather go for one of the easier ones to get going. Thanks!

Cascade seems to be super easy from my reading - very prolific in the north-east. If you have wet weather and are afraid of mildew then there are some strains like "newport" which are bred specifically for disease resistance.

Cascade also does well in SoCal.

Cascade does GREAT here in SoCal. My Centennials not so much.

Last year I had 2 pots of each, this year I yanked one of the Centennials and replaced with a Columbus, and that seems to be taking off quickly as well.

Hummm thank you all.

I am of course in Canada, not SoCal weather sadly... but I know ppl grow hops here, and in the northern USA as well so its possible. I will probably just stick with cascade.

I am in Winnipeg and by far my two best producers were Nugget (1st) and Cascade (2nd). The Nuggets were grown from plant plugs and took an extra year to get established, but when they did they took off like mad.
Had to tear out my hops this year, and the tap root on the Nugget plant was almost 3 inches in diameter, and that was about 2 feet underground, really surprised me at that, I was expecting a big web of roots, not a giant taproot.

Figured I would say that I got solid 2 ounces of cascade hops and brewed a simple, yet great, beer with it.

Thanks for the info, and anyone reading this give hops growing a go, its actually pretty easy.

I hope to get 4-5 ounces next year.

Ask the people you say grow hops around you, every variety does better or worse in a given climate. I live in the desert, Cascades and Centennial do very good here, but that's not really helpful to you.

Back