Fortitudine Vincimus American Barley Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrinkinSurfer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Extract - Fortitudine Vincimus American Barley Wine

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe Type: Extract
Yeast: Nottingham
Yeast Starter: None
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: Nottingham
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.109
Final Gravity: 1.022
IBU: 70
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 21.4
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 35 @ 70F
Tasting Notes: Will update.

Fortitudine Vincimus Barleywine “By Endurance we Conquer!”

Liquid Malt Extract – 12 lbs
Special B – 8 oz
Crystal 40L – 8 oz
Munich Malt – 4 oz
Roasted Barley – 4 oz
Corn Sugar – 3 lbs + ¾ c (priming)
Warrior or CTZ Pellet Hops – 2 oz (60 min)
Cascade Pellet Hops – 2 oz (1 oz 15 min, 1 oz 5 min)
Nottingham Dry Yeast – 2-3 packets
Irish Moss – 1 tsp

Approximate Numbers:
OG 1.109
FG 1.022
ABV 11.4%
IBU 70.0
SRM 21.4

Style: 19C American Barleywine

• Steep Grains at 155F for 30 minutes.
• Add liquid malt extract.
• Bring to boil.
• Add 2 oz Warrior Pellet Hops with 60 minutes remaining.
• Add 1 oz Cascade Pellet Hops with 15 minutes remaining.
• Add 3 lbs Corn Sugar with 15 minutes remaining.
• Add 1 tsp Irish Moss with 15 minutes remaining.
• Add 1 oz Cascade Pellet Hops with 5 minutes remaining.
&#8226; Cool to <80F and pitch rehydrated yeast.
&#8226; Boil ¾ c Corn Sugar in 8 oz of water, add to bottling bucket, siphon beer on top, and bottle.

I just brewed this again and I used WLP001. The OG was 1.112 and the FG was 1.031. I added a packet of champagne yeast at day 34, this did not move the gravity at all. I left it in the primary for a total of 41 days before bottling. the first two weeks were temp controlled at 70F, the last 4 were closer to 85 to experiment with a more rapid bulk aging process. At time of bottling, the uncarbed beer was very palatable and clear with no apparent greenness, especially for a brew pushing 11%. No hot alcohol flavors since fermentation was complete when the temp was increased. I will update in another week or two with how the brew tastes with a bit of carbonation.

I'm wanting to brew a similar beer this weekend, but am worried about the yeast. Planning on using the WLP001, will one packet be enough? I don't have time to make a starter...

If you can spend the extra money on an extra vial, I would recommend it. But, I pitched a single vial the last time I made it, with no starter. And it turned out great. I am sure the yeasts were wuite stressed, but like I said before I did not get any fusels or any other off flavors. Just be patient with it. What does your recipe look like?

12# Light DME (6# in the boil, 6# at knockout)
8 oz Caramel/Crystal 60L
8 oz Caramel/Crystal 40L

2oz Columbus for 60 min
1oz Kent Goldings for 60 min
1oz Cascade for 30 min
1.5 oz Kent Goldings for 30 min
1oz Centennial for 30 min
1oz Kent Goldings for 15 min
1oz Cascade at flameout
1oz Kent Golding at flameout

1 packet White Labs 001

This is all pending on what my LHBS has in stock, especially with all the hops. I'm pretty flexible with the hops as long as I can find something similar. I am going to dry hop for a week with 1oz Cascade and 1oz Kent Goldings, then transfer to another carboy and add 2oz oak chips.

It turned out ok. Lots of alcohol burn, and a little ethanol-y taste. Not my favorite, but it was my first attempt at a barleywine so we'll see what happens next time.

Back