Fruit or extract?? When and how much?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FxdGrMind

Reaction score
Ok so I've read and read, seems that there are contradictory opinions.

Fruit in Primary? or Secondary?

How much if fruit is used?

Extract? Primary or secondary? How much per Gal?

I have an Alt Bier and my M&J both would do better with some fruit added, but need a starting ref.

Maybe a few recipes listing fruit or extract Qty's might help me figure it out.

Ideas anyone?

Cheers:mug:

Use extract at bottling. Fruit puree in the secondary, not the primary, but do a tertiary to clean it up (maybe just a week or so). The amount of fruit might depend on the type of fruit, some are stronger than others. I used 3 lbs of apricot puree in my American Wheat--it wasn't enough. Raspberries or another type of fruit might give you different mileage though.

Since my apricot puree didn't do it, I added about 2 ounces of apricot extract at bottling (in the bucket--mix well). That seemed to do the trick. I think the typical amount of extract is about 4 ounces per 5 gallon batch, give or take...

there are contradictory opinions

That there is, if we all did it the same way, we wouldn't be having as much fun.

I don't like fruit extracts, but because you can add them at bottling time, you can start on the low side and adjust. Mostly I use fruit puree (Oregon, of course) and add it to the secondary (only time I use a secondary). I've use a big mesh bag to contain the fruit/puree.

i just brewed up the wheat beer for my strawberry wheat.

gonna add 7.5 pounds of pasteurized strawberries into the secondary. it's my first attempt at a fruit beer, but i read up on it pretty well.

I juiced blueberries do get a gallon of juice and added at flame out and let sit for a while.

Came out great.

Latest posts

Back