S-05 starter for growing yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BassBeer

Reaction score
I know you're not supposed to make a starter for dry yeasts when pitching it, but could I make a starter (maybe 1/4 pack) for the sole purpose of growing a larger yeast culture and then storing it?

You could get a larger culture faster for storing if you'd just use the whole pack to make your starter.

It's not that you "aren't supposed to" when dealing with dry yeast. Generally they have a higher cell count in the dry packs and you don't necessarily need to.

I know you're not supposed to make a starter for dry yeasts when pitching it, but could I make a starter (maybe 1/4 pack) for the sole purpose of growing a larger yeast culture and then storing it?

Yes you certainly can and I have done it.
But another consideration when weighing the merits of storing a dry yeast strain that has been grown up in starter is that you will need to oxygenate the wort when brewing using the stored liquid yeast.
You can eliminate the need to oxygenate the wort if you use the rehydrated dry yeast direct from the pack.

Latest posts

Back