Blackberry GF ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moviebrain

Reaction score
I'm working on a 5 gallon GF recipe and am working with a few assumptions I thought I'd get some feedback on.

Ingredients:
6# Briess sorghum syrup
3# (49oz) blackberry puree
2 oz Tettnang hops 4.4aa
Us-05 safale

I was thinking I'd do a primary ferment with the sorghum, 1oz hops at 60m, 1oz at 15m

Then do a secondary ferment with the blackberry puree to hopefully take the edge off the sorghum astringency I hear so much about without losing the aromatics to the volatile primary ferment.

Afterward I was thinking I'd split the batch:

1 gallon add clover honey ?? Amount
1 gallon add coriander and orange peel
1 gallon add molasses to see what the added bitterness does.

Then bottle the rest as a control. Any suggestions or comments?

I ended up not adding any of the extra bits since the beer came out great on its own. The brew has a slight purple hue, little head retention, but excellent blackberry nose and up front flavor. Sitting in my keg for about a month at 34F under about 15 psi has really dropped the sorghum twang and opened it up. It's not "beer" in the traditional sense but everyone who has tried it so far has enjoyed it!

moviebrain said:
I ended up not adding any of the extra bits since the beer came out great on its own. The brew has a slight purple hue, little head retention, but excellent blackberry nose and up front flavor. Sitting in my keg for about a month at 34F under about 15 psi has really dropped the sorghum twang and opened it up. It's not "beer" in the traditional sense but everyone who has tried it so far has enjoyed it!

I make a gf beer with a mix of blackberries and raspberries. I use about 5lbs total. I freeze the berries. Then I put them in at the end of the boil. I turn the heat off, drop them in, mash them up against the sides, and then use heat to try to hold the temp to 150*. I've made one with all sorghum and it wasn't that good. I made one with half sorghum and half brow rice syrup and it was okay. The best version has been the one with just rice solids. Oh, I do add honey, at least a pound, every time I make this.

Latest posts

Back