FG and Corn Sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burns629

Reaction score
Last week while bottling I knocked over my hydrometer sample jar and was forced to retake a sample but this time it was after I had already primed my bottling bucket with 3/4 cup of corn sugar. Does anybody know how much priming sugar effects the specific gravity before its fermented out? I'm sure I could do my own experiment next time i bottle but wondering if anybody knows off hand.

FYI: it was an Apfelwein that started at 1.060 and the FG+Cornsugar was .995

Thanks

that seems really low, are you sure something else wasn't wrong? this would be a lower specific gravity than water. so, it would mean that you'd fermented out more sugar than there was in the cider to begin with.

FWIW, Apfelwein can get down to .990.

I am assuming 3/4 cup was for 5 gallons... that should give you about 3 points.

.992 ish.

that seems really low, are you sure something else wasn't wrong? this would be a lower specific gravity than water. so, it would mean that you'd fermented out more sugar than there was in the cider to begin with.
No, it just means that there is now enough alcohol in solution to lower the specific gravity below that of water. It's entirely possible and sometimes even desirable when it comes to dry ciders, wines, and meads.

Thanks for the info, sorry forgot to include that it was for a 5gal batch.

I was very surprised that it was below 1.00 myself until I went back and saw that some ppl were having Apfelwein's with s.g. around .990.

No, it just means that there is now enough alcohol in solution to lower the specific gravity below that of water. It's entirely possible and sometimes even desirable when it comes to dry ciders, wines, and meads.

well, i guess that i'll stop weighing in on things i don't know much about . . .

Back