Growing some yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allsup

Reaction score
So I brewed a batch last night (CA common Clone). I saved about 1qt of wort from the bottom of the brew pot, hops and all. After pitching the yeast in the frementor I rinsed out the yeast package with wort and placed it in a sanitized jar in hopes of making a starter for next weekend. Today it's just bubbling away with about 2 inches of trub and hops on the bottom.

What do I need to do to use this as a starter in a week or two?
Thanks

If you're making a 5 gallon batch of medium gravity beer you could double the size (add another quart of wort) and you'll be golden.

From just rinsing out the yeast pack, how long until there is a suitible number or yeast cell? Will there be enough in a week? When would you add the secound qt or wort?

From just rinsing out the yeast pack, how long until there is a suitible number or yeast cell? Will there be enough in a week? When would you add the secound qt or wort?

Add it any time, some people pitch at high kreusen, some wait till it's about done, some cool it and store in the fridge for sometime, decant and pitch, etc.:mug:

Back