I mistook a leaf for a weed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bosox

Reaction score
I planted my rhizomes only about 48 hours ago, and there has been freezing rain and overcast from planting until just a few hours ago...however there was lots of green growing in my whiskey barrels last night and this morning. There were about 2-3 small stringy looking things on the sides and random places of the barrel, so I was told they were weeds and I picked them. But in the center of the barrel was a little leaf lookign thing, and I didn't think I should pick it, but for some reason I did, as I was told hops take a little while to break through the ground and the conditions here have been less then ideal...

So after I picked it and looked at it, I really began to think it was a leaf, so here's the picture of it.
http://i41.tinypic.com/rrpk4z.jpg

So did I set my rhizome back a lot? Or is it not really going to affect it at all?

Yeah. That wasn't hops. Looks more like Maple or Oak.

Emerging bines look like Asparagus. Sometimes white, sometime purple, rarely deep green until they've been out a while.

hop_shoots.jpg

Hop+Shoots.jpg

Thanks for the pics GilaMilumBeer, I feel a lot better now. Nothing in my barrels looked like that, so I'm confident that they were only weeds and no hop sprouts. I was confused because the weather has been pretty sucky here since they were planted, getting near 32 at night, so I thought it would be odd that leafs and shoots were already growing all over the barrel.

I should RDWHAHB of my Palilalia IPA

Back