Primary lager temp minimum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thanlin

Reaction score
Okay, so I usually brew ales because of temp control limitations. Over the last few weeks the temperature has kept at a near constant 40-42 degrees in my garage and I have lagered two ales in there. Now this is a bit below the primary temp for lagers, can I lager?

I was thinking about pitching double the yeast and putting a blanket around the lager. Let me know if this is a dumb idea or if I can make it happen. Nothing has been bought yet for ingredients but my budget is low so equiptment is out of the question other than what I have... Which is nothing.

You might be able to get away with fermenting at those temps depending on the yeast, but lagering needs to happen around freezing temps (32 - 34 F).

You might be able to get away with fermenting at those temps depending on the yeast, but lagering needs to happen around freezing temps (32 - 34 F).

It was my understanding that lager yeast needs the 50-60 range to ferment. And while I acknowledge that lagering in a secondary usually happens near freezing the closest I'm going to get to that is cracking my garage door open and hoping for even lower temps.

It was my understanding that lager yeast needs the 50-60 range to ferment. And while I acknowledge that lagering in a secondary usually happens near freezing the closest I'm going to get to that is cracking my garage door open and hoping for even lower temps.

50 - 60 is the generally the optimum range, but it's not unheard of for it to work at lower temperatures, albeit a lot slower. If we assume you're fermenting at 42 F then the actual temperature inside will be at least a few degrees higher since the fermentation process generates heat, so I think you're safe there.

I don't think you should have any issues lagering at 40 F assuming you give it a while longer in the lagering phase than you would if you were lagering around freezing temps.

Back