Use Safale #5 in a wheat beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zacster

Reaction score
I bought a wheat beer kit back in June, which included a Wyeast Weihenstephan wheat yeast activator pack. I broke the package yesterday and my impression is that the yeast is dead, the package hasn't swelled at all. This doesn't surprise me too much as the yeast was shipped during an early June heat wave, although the other Wyeast that came was fine.

I have a pack of Safale #5 in the fridge as well. Would this be fine to use to make a wheat beer? What would the difference be? The Weihenstephan is supposed to produce a lot of ester, which I guess is desirable in the style of beer I'm making, although it has been so long since I ordered it I don't remember what it was. (I guess I should check my own signature, it says Hefeweizen.)

Personally I would get a packet of at least Safale WB-06. The US-05 will probably make a tasty beverage, but if you want the esters it isn't going to produce them.

First of all, I would make a starter with the smack pack before throwing that yeast away.

Second, the Weihenstephan is a Hefeweizen yeast, the the Safale is a neutral ale yeast - so it's a difference between making a Hefeweizen and a Wheat beer. If you want to make a Hefe, then try making a starter with the smack pack. If you want to make a wheat beer, then the Safale #5 is fine.

You'll make an American Wheat beer, not a hefe. Not really a lot of character. If you've ever wanted to make a fruit beer, that would be a good base to work from.

Since I posted this 5 hours ago, the package has started to swell. I'll make a starter with it tomorrow. How much wheat LME should I use to make a starter? This is all I have to use other than the bottling sugar.

Back