Hophead alert! Hop aroma tabs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david_42

Reaction score
Just got my Williams Brewing catalog and they have hop aroma tabs. Sound like a good way to boost aroma without losing too much wort. Only downside I see is "varying aromatic hops".

Have you wanted to increase the hop character of your beer without making it too bitter? Made of hop oils isolated from C02 hop extract, Hop Aroma Tabs are virtually free of alpha acids. These dense tablets deliver flavorful oil deep into the wort, adding more aromatic oil than is normally possible with traditional whole or pellet hops.

Made from varying aromatic hops, use 1 to 2 quarter-sized tablets per 5 gallons of wort, adding at the end of the boil or in the fermenter.

They work pretty good. Though you can only get cascade and generic tabs. I throw one in a keg to add some extra aroma. I'm not sure I would go out and buy them, but since I have a bunch I'll keep using them.

The biggest advantage I see is being able to just throw one in a keg and not worry about bagging up the hops.

I sent some to saq and he used them and thought they were good.

I tried them here for a bit, and I found the aromatics to be very subdued and quick to dissipate. I also got a weird chalky flavor from them, even though they aren't supposed to give any flavor. For me, you just can't beat using real hops.

Just to resurrect this thread and add my experience.

I got a pack of 4 of these tablets from brewferm. They smell awesome, but not really very different than a few cascade pellets stuck up your nose.

The "indicative" dose was claimed to be half a tablet for 50 leters of beer, I do 20-25 leters at a time, so I put in a quater tab.

Did nothing. No aroma whatsoever.

The last one I did was with 1 and a half tablets, that worked out a mild kinda pepper aroma not very noticable. I would have expected that if 1/4 was supposed to be a dryhop of a half oz or so, then 1 and a half should have been massive, like a 3oz dry hop.

So, based on the fact that the tabs cost the same as 4oz of practically anyhop I might want...waste of money.

Thanks for the review. I am scratching that off my list for trial.

I wonder if they lose effectiveness rapidly after manufacturing if not stored correctly?

Re-resurrecting...

I've been tempted to buy these several times, but have never pulled the trigger. I don't see these as a dry hop replacement, but maybe something to throw in the keg a couple weeks after tapping to "freshen up" the aroma. Until I hear some glowing reviews, I'm going to pass.

Back