Starting my RIMS Set up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The thing is, I have never operated a RIMS or seen one run. But, some principles are fairly logical.

BTW, I got that joke... good one... I will give you that.

Been goofing off with my 5 gallon cooler while brewing lately. It's cold in my garage so I've been mashing and sparging inside then dumping my runnings into the brew kettle on my rig and just boiling out there. (does anyone else still have their first brewpot and 5 gallon cooler mlt eventhough they have a huge 15gallon converted keggle brew sculpture with pumps and everything?) A lot more work but it's alot warmer in the house, and i'm not boiling in the kitchen to keep the SWMBO happy, LOL!! anyhow... I've been batch sparging. I havn't been mashing out just draining the 1st running completely out, then adding one gallon at a time for each batch sparge... (on a 10lb grain bill) been pullin 1.060ish OG's that way. If I drain the 1st runnings then sparge with 2 gallons at a time I get 1.054ish. Similar grain bills and havn't adjusted my barley crusher. Figure out what works best for you, but remember 2 gallons at a time is a WHOLE lot less steps! :D

I dont have my old system any longer... My garage is about 50F throughout the winter. I can run a small heater to bring it up a little warmer, but brewing in the garage is pretty commfy for me.

Back