Forgot Irish moss

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willy Boner

Reaction score
:( Damn, going to do a good pale ale but forgot Irish moss at LBS.Oh well I have brewed without before but wanted to get this one clearer. :mug:

If you had a good vigorous boil it shouldn't matter too much, irish moss only helps to secure the hot break.

Gelatine and isinglass drag out yeast, irish moss and whirlfloc help the coagulation of proteins. You'll need polyclar or aux finings to remove a protein haze.

You can always filter it after you pour it out of the glass. I filter my beers with my liver. Before I flush it it looks just like Coors Light. It will still taste the same, but you knew that.:mug:

I've read several of the threads on clarifying, but I'm still confused. I bottle condition, so will gelatin interfere with carbonation, or is it just a matter of giving more time in the bottle? Also, I gather that gelatin doesn't help chill haze?

If you are bottling then gelatine isn't a great idea, if you use a secondary and let the yeast drop out there then you will have minimal yeast left for bottle conditioning.

If you are bottling though the yeast doesn't have that far to drop out as it clears relatively quickly and it is aided by the pressure in the bottle, you can help the whole process by chilling the primary to cellar temp once fermentation is finished, leave it there for a couple of days then chill it down as far as you can to bottle. This will help the yeast drop out and help retain the natural carbonation from the primary.

Gelatine is said to work like isinglass, it is positively charged, it attracts the negatively charged yeast and drags it out of suspension.

I have heard it said that it will remove a protein haze although protein is positively charged. In practice i've never known gelatine to remove a chill/protein haze, personally I think it is a myth.

Willy B, I found myself in the same boat --- the very first PM that I brewed, I forgot the Irish Moss. Will bottle it tomorrow. I guess if you refrigerate the brew significantly in advance of drinking it, the protien haze will materialize and settle out. That's what I read somewherer. Does that sound right?

I know it doesn't really matter, the haze that is, but it's a satisfying feeling to drink one of your homebrews and to be able to admire the color and clarity.

I just experimented with boiling my Irish moss in a small pan after forgetting it in my brew. Added it straight to primary before securing airlock and almost immediately the beer started clearing.

Back