First brew tomorrow! Need help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

collinsDPT

Reaction score
I cant wait to start my first batch tomorrow: Autumn Amber Ale kit from Midwest Supplies.

One question I have is regarding the hops and target IBU...

I am going to do a full boil (using ~6.5gal at start to end with ~5gal). My question is, dont I need to use LESS hops than the amount that comes in the kit which is designed for use with ~2.5gal?

Im pretty sure the hop utilization will INCREASE with increased starting water amount, meaning I need to use less hops.... but how much less???

The kit recommends I add 1oz Hallertau bittering hops at the beginning (60min) and then 1oz Fuggles aroma hops (2min).

I have looked at recipe calculators like Beer Calculus, but I cant figure out how the hell these things work.

So, how much hops should I add?!?! (I dont want an overly-hoppy beer)

Thanks!

You will get better hop utilization but I don't think it will effect it that much. Those hops are low alpha acid hops already so I don't see it coming out hoppy. I would add all of them for the recommended times.

Look here for the math involved: http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter5-5.html

You need to know your target IBU, then look up the hop utilization for your boil time and expected gravity. From there you can solve for the AAU's which (based on your hop's AA percentage) will tell you how much to add. I did the same calcs for an amber ale recently and I think I reduced my hop amounts by about 20%.

I tend to agree with John. With those hop varieties, you should see little issue. But, in general, your assumption is correct.
Good Luck :mug:

Back