Yeast Starting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Dtrain

Reaction score
Hey-

I can't seem to find the info I'm looking for with a search so I hope you can help.

If am brewing a beer that has a 1.055 OG, do you think I will need to make a yeast starter if using a liquid yeast? I've always used liquid yeast and have never made a starter, but those have been with partial mashes. Was planning on using Wyeast yeast with my AG batches this weekend (yes, going to brew on Friday and Saturday!)

Thanks,
Dtrain

Probably. Generally, any beer over about 1.040 or so can benefit from a starter. Check out this site: http://www.mrmalty.com/ and scroll down the page about 1/2 way to the yeast pitching calculator. That's the best tool around for determining how big of a starter you should make. He's got great information on starters, yeast health, and more on that site.

mr. malty is very informative. Based on the calcuator, I think I'm going to pitch 2 packs instead of getting it going with a starter. I want to make my stir plate first. Once I get these 2 batches going this weekend I'll work the stir plate project.

Thanks for the advice!

Dtrain

Back