Need advice on what category to enter my India Brown

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Professor Frink

Reaction score
So I'm going to enter my Mild and my India Brown in competition, what are people's feelings on what category to enter an India Brown Ale? I've seen it done in IPA, Brown Ale and Experimental Categories. It's pretty similar to Terrapin's India Brown (Niquejim and Zymergrafi bother received one in the mild swap, so if you tried it, feel free to chime in).

I have not tried it yet and to be honest I had not heard of the style. So it is sort of an imperial American brown ale then? Most interesting. I'll chime in once I have tried it. I may have to wait a bit though. I love hoppy beers. Unfortunately my taste buds have been rather fickle (f*cked up) lately and what is an awesome tasting hoppy beer one day tastes off the next. It has kind of driven me back to the malty beers. So I will make sure they are in proper working order before sampling

;)

It's not too hoppy for that? I ended up at 109 IBUs for this puppy.

Good heavens. What have we come to? I never thought I would see this day.

You aren't wrong, Prof. It's just that the American Brown category has been eviscerated to a shadow of what it once was, and the ol' Texas Browns are now called something else (e.g., Indian Brown) and relegated to Category 23. What can you do?

TL

I have not tried it yet and to be honest I had not heard of the style. So it is sort of an imperial American brown ale then? Most interesting. I'll chime in once I have tried it. I may have to wait a bit though. I love hoppy beers. Unfortunately my taste buds have been rather fickle (f*cked up) lately and what is an awesome tasting hoppy beer one day tastes off the next. It has kind of driven me back to the malty beers. So I will make sure they are in proper working order before sampling

;)

I haven't tried Prof's beer yet, but I have been drinking my share of Terrapin's IBA since we now get it in bottles. It is a deliciously fantastic beer. I also brewed a beer similar (see recipe drop-down) from Mike McDole (Janet's Brown Ale in BCS) that is an American Brown with around 65 IBUs and dry hopped (I didn't dry hop mine, but 4 other people in my club have made this and have dry-hopped - truly excellent).

The nomenclature suggests that it is a cross between an IPA and a full-bodied brown ale. You run the gamut with the hop characteristics in bitterness, flavour, and aroma. However, the chocolate and crystal malt cuts through nicely - it is wonderfully balanced. It is still easy drinking, however.

That said, I have an issue with the Dogfish Head IBA. This may stem just on my own personal tastes, but they use a touch of roasted barley in theirs, and to me, it comes through too much. It adds this stout-like roast to it, albeit subtle, but I think sticking with just some chocolate is better off.

I haven't tried Prof's beer yet, but I have been drinking my share of Terrapin's IBA since we now get it in bottles. It is a deliciously fantastic beer. I also brewed a beer similar (see recipe drop-down) from Mike McDole (Janet's Brown Ale in BCS) that is an American Brown with around 65 IBUs and dry hopped (I didn't dry hop mine, but 4 other people in my club have made this and have dry-hopped - truly excellent).

The nomenclature suggests that it is a cross between an IPA and a full-bodied brown ale. You run the gamut with the hop characteristics in bitterness, flavour, and aroma. However, the chocolate and crystal malt cuts through nicely - it is wonderfully balanced. It is still easy drinking, however.

That said, I have an issue with the Dogfish Head IBA. This may stem just on my own personal tastes, but they use a touch of roasted barley in theirs, and to me, it comes through too much. It adds this stout-like roast to it, albeit subtle, but I think sticking with just some chocolate is better off.

This beer came out really great - it's unlike DFH India Brown in that it has almost no roastiness. I ended up putting it in the 23 Specialty Beer category, I just want to see if it's as good as people have told me it is. I'll try to post my recipe in the drop down menu soon.

Oh, hang on. Now that you mention it I have had the DFH version. Was not aware it was a different style at the time.

Yes, I agree, I was not keen on the roastiness there with the DFH, it did not jibe with the hop flavors. They seemed to be in competition with each other.

Looking forward to trying this Prof. my curiousity is peaked. Thanks for sharing.

So I entered both beers - the Mild in the Mild and Brown Ales category and the India Brown in the Specialty category. Both took a second place:)

Back