Flushing with CO2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amccormi

Reaction score
I was wondering what are the principles of flushing equipment with CO2. I have heard this is indespensible for the best IPAs, but I don't keg, so I wanted to know what best practices might be before I go out and get the necessary equipment.

Questions include...

What is the most cost effective system
how much CO2 volume is necessary
prucedures for carboy and bottle flushing

Thanks!

I was wondering what are the principles of flushing equipment with CO2. I have heard this is indespensible for the best IPAs, but I don't keg, so I wanted to know what best practices might be before I go out and get the necessary equipment.

Questions include...

What is the most cost effective system
how much CO2 volume is necessary
prucedures for carboy and bottle flushing

Thanks!

Co2 from a tank is most cost effective. You don't need much.

For a bottle, the easiest is to use a blichmann beergun or a counter pressure filler. You can also connect a cobra tab and some tubing or (my preference) a spring loaded bottle filter to co2 and use that to purge prior to filling with a second apparatus. This will require some sort of tee in the co2 line.

For a carboy, just run some tubing down to the bottom and let the co2 flow for 10 seconds or so. If you want to be really sure, fill with sanitizer and place a carboy cap with a racking cane and tubing running into another container. Attach co2 to the second carboy cap hole and push the sanitizer out. If this is a glass carboy be VERY CAREFUL to keep the pressure around 2 PSI or less. Better bottles will take quite a bit more positive pressure but no reason to go over 3 or 4 PSI (the carboy cap will fail at some point).

Back