Seal-A-Meal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gabe

It's a sickness!
Reaction score
How many of you guy's out there use one of these to seal hops and grain? I figured they would be pricless for bulk hop orders and completely sealing x-tra grain that's been crushed.

I use a FoodSaver to seal up my hops into convenient measures depending on the AA. I never have leftover grain. I grind up what I need and if I make a mistake (i overground 1 pound once) I just add it in.

We use clip-n-seal at our brewery. We often have to get hops from different sources and the c-n-s is cut to fit for different sizes of bags. They even use them on the Space Shuttle.

http://clipnseal.com/

Clip in seal is a great item for general use around the house (i.e. chips, sandwiches) when you want to keep oxygen from drying food or seal beverages. But.... it does'nt address the oxidation of oxygen from hops or other brewery items that need to be guarded from the harmful affects of oxidation. May be you have a high production brewery that turns over hops and grains before they can oxidize but around here that's the exception.:mug:

Hey smogman why won't it protect from oxidation? Is this not the reason to use this sealer to protect and pull all the oxy out of the product? Let me know b4 I buy one. Cheers

Because of the risidual oxygen left in the bag when you use clip and seal. Food saver and seal a meal remove all or most of the remaining air left in the bag. If your contimplating buying food saver don't BUY IT!!!!!!:ban:

That was the one I was looking at . Any reasons not to. Costco has for a decent price and a good deal on the bags.

The Food Saver at Costco is a excellent product at a very good price. By the way Brewbaker's Brewery and Bulldog Brewery here in Visalia and Fresno both use nothing but the Food Saver on all their hops. I'm not shure of anything else they use it on? but both brewmasters site the same reasons oxidation of the alpha acids in the hops!:mug:

Has anyone had a problem with their bags not sealing with hops?
I've had a heck of a time and I think it is from leaves sticking to the bag where it seals. Between static electricity and the sticky oils from the hops, it can be hard to get the top of the bag clean. I've started making my bags much longer so the hops are further into the bad and that seems to help.

I like to make my bags about 12" longer than the hops so when I unseal the bag and remove some I have a lot of space to reseal the bag, It works for me. So I probably get 6 or 7 reuses out of each bag.

I just bought this today and bought the x-tra rolls. 115 ft in rolls . Costco rules!!!

Back