Guate Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re brewing software, BrewSmith is awesome. I think you can download a trial version to check it out. I have the full Windows version and recently downloaded the Android version to my tablet..it still needs some work, but has a lot of capability too.

Update of my 2.5 gallon test run with the DC LME. its been fermenting for 16 days. i kept it around 60-65 degrees in my cooler. its been a pretty slow fermentation. I let it come up to room temp last night. some more krausen formed. so i guess its still chuggin along. I figure 4-5 more days then bottle.
I will update after I crack my first bottle

So with the power off all day, and a full moon, it seemed like an ideal brew day. I formulated an ESB using DC LME and panela. The only slight worry was the yeast which I harvested from my last batch. I did everything as sanitised as I could, but when I made up the starter I kid of expected a bit more foaming. Anyhow I pitched the yeast about 1pm at 22C, and by 3pm I already was getting plenty of activity. I guess the yeast was OK after all. From what I understand such a short lag time is not necessarily a bad thing, although rather surprising.

Recipe was:
1 Kg DC LME
650g panela
35g Quinfica powdered hops @ 10 mins
30g Quinfica powdered hops @ 50 mins

Batch size 10 litres

Calculated OG 1.054, Target FG 1.015, ABV 5.12%

Yeast was probably muntons, which is not really a highly regarded yeast, but seems to be doing the job.

I guess it should be ready to sample in about a month, just in time for my birthday :D

So with the power off all day, and a full moon, it seemed like an ideal brew day. I formulated an ESB using DC LME and panela. The only slight worry was the yeast which I harvested from my last batch. I did everything as sanitised as I could, but when I made up the starter I kid of expected a bit more foaming. Anyhow I pitched the yeast about 1pm at 22C, and by 3pm I already was getting plenty of activity. I guess the yeast was OK after all. From what I understand such a short lag time is not necessarily a bad thing, although rather surprising.

Recipe was:
1 Kg DC LME
650g panela
35g Quinfica powdered hops @ 10 mins
30g Quinfica powdered hops @ 50 mins

Batch size 10 litres

Calculated OG 1.054, Target FG 1.015, ABV 5.12%

Yeast was probably muntons, which is not really a highly regarded yeast, but seems to be doing the job.

I guess it should be ready to sample in about a month, just in time for my birthday :D

Cool, all regionally available ingredients!

Cheers guys! In orlando, will deposit your money when I get back in 10 days.
image-835010341.jpg

Hi guys, lets do the meeting as it was planned first in Cheers Z10, as my restaurant won't be open at that time.. It will be for the next meeting!

Ok guys, the day's drawing near, how 'bout a head count so I know how many I need to bottle. Also, is after 7:00 PM good for everyone who's attending?

Right now, the prospects are looking good that I'll be there, although I need a couple more days to be sure. It will be my first time out in the city at night (I've only been here 4 years :eek: )

So from what I have seen and read, Cheers is on the Oakland Mall end of 13a Calle, right? I'm thinking to stay at Quetzalroo, about 5 blocks away, if I've got the location right.

I'll be coming in on the chicken bus from San Pedro, which I think ends up in Zone 8. Do you know if it's an easy journey from the bus terminal to Z10, is it another bus or a taxi. My apologies for the rookie tourist questions :eek:

Cheers is on 13th just before Reforma and across from Hotel Las Torres. If you are looking for a place to stay close by then Las Torres is right across the street, in aint the Hilton, but at $35 a night way cheaper than anything else in Z10.

So from what I have seen and read, Cheers is on the Oakland Mall end of 13a Calle, right? I'm thinking to stay at Quetzalroo, about 5 blocks away, if I've got the location right.

I'll be coming in on the chicken bus from San Pedro, which I think ends up in Zone 8. Do you know if it's an easy journey from the bus terminal to Z10, is it another bus or a taxi. My apologies for the rookie tourist questions :eek:

It's actually on the other side of 13 calle, towards la reforma, but I wouldn't mind picking you up if you'd like me to, it's not that far to the closest parking lot to cheers.

You might want to take a bus from la terminal to 6a ave and then take another one there to quetzalroo, between 7a & 8a calle, out to cheers from there you'd need to go 4 blocks to 13 calle and walk 5 blocks almost all the way down to la reforma; or I can pick you up @ quetzalroo... let me know.

sampled my first bottle this evening and it aint bad at all. a little bitter and harsh but its only been 1 week in the bottle. so i am definitely happy with the results so far.
2-3 more weeks and it should be nice.
i had a friend come down with 3 lbs of hops (magnum, cascade and falconers flight 7 C's) so my next batches i can bitter with magnum for a smoother bitterness and get some nice citrus hop flavor and aroma with the cascade and 7C's.
i might up the table sugar a little too in order to lighten the color up. or maybe some honey.
attached is a pic.

Update of my 2.5 gallon test run with the DC LME. its been fermenting for 16 days. i kept it around 60-65 degrees in my cooler. its been a pretty slow fermentation. I let it come up to room temp last night. some more krausen formed. so i guess its still chuggin along. I figure 4-5 more days then bottle.
I will update after I crack my first bottle

photo-3.JPG

sampled my first bottle this evening and it aint bad at all. a little bitter and harsh but its only been 1 week in the bottle. so i am definitely happy with the results so far.
2-3 more weeks and it should be nice.
i had a friend come down with 3 lbs of hops (magnum, cascade and falconers flight 7 C's) so my next batches i can bitter with magnum for a smoother bitterness and get some nice citrus hop flavor and aroma with the cascade and 7C's.
i might up the table sugar a little too in order to lighten the color up. or maybe some honey.
attached is a pic.

The harsh bitterness probably comes from low OG and lack of aging, low OG means lower residual sweetness to balance the bitterness, might want to bump the OG to 1.060 for next time, with a smaller first hops addition and make it 5 additions so you can space the bitterness a bit more, or add calcium (preferably in chloride form).

I've used up to 2 pounds light brown sugar when using DC LME, it's thinned the beer down considerably and lightened the color a little, from roughly 14 down to 11 SRM according to the calculator I usually use. I primarily do this when making bitters in the 1.045-1.050 OG range, so for an IPA it's probably not going to lighten it much unless it's lower gravity.

Using a whole tub o'LME, and 2 pounds table sugar should give you roughly 13 SRM in a 5 gallon batch, smack dab in the middle of IPA color range and the start of brown ale color range.

agreed, i attributed most of the harshness to the bittering hops combined with only 1 week in the bottle. i was happy with the way the malt tasted tho. in a few weeks it should mellow into a solid Amber.

i plan on doing a 5g batch this weekend, upping the hops and sugar to go for an IPA.
Do you think there is much difference between color and flavor using plain white table sugar vs brown sugar?

my hop schedule this weekend will be:
1/2 oz magnum - 60 min
1 oz FF - 15 min
1 oz cascade - 10 min
1 oz FF - 5
1 oz cascade - flame out

Crap, double post. Sorry :p.
Might as well make the best of it.

Last call for a headcount, either on the thread or by PM, so far I'll be bottling 3 samples including my own.

agreed, i attributed most of the harshness to the bittering hops combined with only 1 week in the bottle. i was happy with the way the malt tasted tho. in a few weeks it should mellow into a solid Amber.

i plan on doing a 5g batch this weekend, upping the hops and sugar to go for an IPA.
Do you think there is much difference between color and flavor using plain white table sugar vs brown sugar?

my hop schedule this weekend will be:
1/2 oz magnum - 60 min
1 oz FF - 15 min
1 oz cascade - 10 min
1 oz FF - 5
1 oz cascade - flame out

There's not that much difference between white & light brown sugar, but if you use 2 pounds it's noticeable, light brown sugar contributes a slight molasses/caramel character, more noticeable in the smell than taste. I prefer it over plain white sugar.

There's not much difference between a 15 and a 10 min addition, I'd suggest
1/2 oz magnum - 60 min
1/2 oz FF - 30 min
1 oz cascade - 15-10 min
1 oz cascade - flame out
1 oz FF or cascade - dry hop 1 week (FF for piny aroma, cascade for citrus)

That will still get you in the lower 50's IBU's and have a bit more hops presence. If you space the additions too far (60->15 min) you'll be able to tell that there were separate additions rather than a "hoppy fullness" so to speak, it'll smell like a hops garden when you sniff, but it'll be a bit flatter and less complex on the palate.
Usually when I go for a cheap bitter, I do a 60 and a 20 min addition in a less than rolling boil, so as to not evaporate as many essential oils; I'm usually satisfied with the results in the aroma department.

Nice, makes sense. ive never used FF before so good to know about the profile.
i was contemplating a dry hop, so i might add in an extra oz for that.
1/2 oz magnum - 60 min
1/2 oz FF - 30 min
1 oz FF - 15 min
1 oz cascade - 15 min
1 oz cascade - flame out
1 oz FF - dry hop 1 week

Nice, makes sense. ive never used FF before so good to know about the profile.
i was contemplating a dry hop, so i might add in an extra oz for that.
1/2 oz magnum - 60 min
1/2 oz FF - 30 min
1 oz FF - 15 min
1 oz cascade - 15 min
1 oz cascade - flame out
1 oz FF - dry hop 1 week

You can cut down to a half oz each on the double 15 min addition, FF will still be citrussy, but it'll give you more pine needles than cascade.

Guys, won't be able to make it this time. Next time for sure!

Sorry to hear that, I'll see if we can organize another get together before the holiday season (late Nov maybe?) :tank:.

Ok, this isn't going as well as I'd planned, so how about we leave it for a future date, maybe mid october? If there's a particular date that works better for all/most, let me know.

And I hate to say it, but our travel plans are not working out as originally expected so I wont be able to make it either.

:-(

Ok, I would be able to come today, but only for a while, as other stuff came up... So I would prefer to change the date too...

Did any body make it on the 7th?

As far as a future date, I now plan to be back in Guate by mid October.

Nope, had to cancel since it would've been a 2 man show for a couple of hours, if that. Mid october was the next time frame I'd been considering so we have enough time to plan it. I'll bottle some of my saison and märzen, maybe even have the fruit lambic carbed up by then as well.

Mid+ October should work for me. GF wants to spend her B'day (10th) in Grenada, Nic on the way back. Probably there for a few days, but we don't plan many stops after that.

Re grain order. No update from TransCargo, but thats not unuaual, communication is not their strong suite. I will call them tomorrow.

Our 2-row has arrived!

HOLA CUTIS

LE INFORMO QUE SU CAJA ESTA EN NUESTRA BODEGA, POR FAVOR INDICARME A DONDE SE LA ENVIO A DEJAR, SALUDOS,

EL TOTAL A CANCELAR ES DE US$40.00

Not bad, $40 total for international shipping of 65lbs of 2-row.

Now, we just need to pay and take delivery. I am in Panama for a few more weeks, so would better for one of you guys to pay and take delivery. Any volunteers?

Curtis, I would be able to pick up the stuff, this week or next week... Where is their bodega? Zona 13?

Their bodega is in Z1, but is really just a working bodega, it has no retail front and you have to make sure some one is there. You can arrange to pick up there, but delivering to your home is more their normal routine.

PM me your contact info and I will pass it on to TransCargo and you can make arrangements then directly with them.

Just hold on to my portion and I will settle up w you when I get back to Guate City around mid October.

Latest posts

Back