cali lager 2112... peach aroma?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finnagann

Reaction score
I'm currently fermenting a 50/50 wheat with 2112 lager yeast. Its a week in and I thought I would check the gravity.

It has a fairly strong (though not unpleasant) peachy aroma and flavour... I think I detect a bit of citrous in their as well. I just had a few others smell it and they thought maybe some mango and or tangerine... possibly just a hint of clove.

The hops are perle, magnum and styrian goldings and malt is ger wheat, pils and carapils. Nothing that would throw those profiles I think.

Any guesses?

Last time I used 2112 was about 7 years ago, in a LME partial grain recipe. It had none of the flavors/aromas you are referring to. Mine came out to an almost perfect Bass Ale clone.

Ya I can't find anything saying that 2112 throws much ester of any kind. Maybe its the perle hops... apparently they can be a bit fruity.

My last batch of steam beer made with 2112 is a little more intense flavored than the Anchor Steam Beer. It's like the flavor profile of the yeast is exaggerated, stronger flavored then the commercially produced beer, and the flavors and aromas are definitely fruity as opposed to spicy. I used 3 oz. of Northern Brewer pellets, but it seems like it's more flavorful and intensely aromatic than it should be with that much hops. Compared to 1056 which is very clean tasting, the 2112 definitely has a very noticeable flavor and aroma, in my opinion.

Back