Transferring 15.5 Gal of commercial brew to 3 cornies?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HausBrauerei_Harvey

Reaction score
I am throwing an oktoberfest party next weekend for friends and neighbors. I will have 3 of my own brews ontap (Oktoberfest, Kolsch, + Saison), although most of my friends appreciate craft beer, most of my neighbors do not.

I wanted to get a 1/4 barrel of coors banquet in my keezer for these folks (It's also my working beer so I know it would get drunk over time). Trouble is I just called the store and Coors banquet only comes in 15.5 gallon kegs. There is no way I can get a full 1/2 barrel up into my system without a block-and-tackle rigging system which I haven't built yet.

Thus the thought just occurred to me: why not buy the 1/2 barrel of banquet, drink a few pints when I get home and then transfer the rest to three clean/sanitized cornies. Any reason this would not work?

I appreciate any thoughts/input.

I think the main question is how would you be dispensing it at the party? If your using a regular party pump I think it may get oxidized. I had a friend who had a keg of Coors for her wedding, invited us over the next day for a "keg killing" party, and it was obviously oxidized.

If you can put the Coors on CO2, you could dispense it directly to the cornies (i.e. liquid out from Coors to Liquid out on cornie). Then you could divide it up to the cornies before and dispense normally, and they would all be untouched by air, just on CO2.

But, that means you would need the adapters and such for the 1/2 barrel. You should have time to order them if it's the weekend of 9/13. Might be nice to have on hand anyway :)

That's all I've got though.

Thanks for the confirmation.

I actually have an adapter already, and my keezer is built to handle a full 1/2 barrel, but I have to rig up a pulley system to handle the lift down into the keezer which I haven't done yet.

So yeah I could just dispense from the sanke to a sterilized cornie, then do an o2 purge once it's full, and i can dispense normally from my keezer taps from there.

Alternatively I could get a few buddies to come over and with 4 guys we can probably handle the lift.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Cheers,
Steve

Maybe brew a pilsner or even a blonde ale and tell them it's coors. I doubt a single one will notice.

Oops I just read that the party is next weekend.

I do this all the time by adding a corny liquid fitting on the tubing going to the faucet from the sanke tap. I attach that to the liquid side of the corny. Let it begin to fill the corny until the pressure equalizes then vent the prv. Repeat until completely full and it should purge itself almost entirely of o2.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back