Bottleing question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakee117

Reaction score
I have been drinking so Sierra Nevada Pale ale as I rebuild my homebrew stock. These bottles have treads like twist offs, however they are capped with a non twist cap. I am assuming that I can use these as they come from the brewery with a standard cap... but then I see what assuming has done for me in the past ( thats why I am asking here )

can I use these to bottle?

I've used them in the past, with mixed results. Some carbonated, some did not. Not sure if the one's I used were the same as the SN one's though. I'm sure someone with more experience will chime in.

I too have had mixed success using my wing-style bottle capper. However, a number of people with bench cappers have mentioned that they work fine with twist-off bottles.

Nope. Don't use threaded bottles for capping.
SN has been using non- threaded bottles for at least a year now. These are good.

How old are those bottles? I have been using SN bottles with great success. Mine do not have any threading.

Maybe it depends on where you live. All the SN bottles I have (even drinking one today!) have threaded caps. I recycle them, since I can't cap them with my wing capper reliably.

YooperBrew said:
Maybe it depends on where you live. All the SN bottles I have (even drinking one today!) have threaded caps. I recycle them, since I can't cap them with my wing capper reliably.

Wow that's strange. I never thought of that. That must mean that they have separate bottling plants or something? I had thought that all the SN stuff came from California. I am in NY.

I cap twist offs with my bench capper. I've never had a problem. My old wing style capper would break the top off the bottles. My LHBS sells caps labelled as being suitable for twist offs but I'm not sure what the difference is.

Funny I saw this post. On my last Batch of Bottled beer, I realized, of course after I poured the beer, that a few of my bottles were of the Teist Off Variety. Didn't seem to be an issue. The were carbonated just as well as the normal bottles. Granted, I have been keeping an eye out(hence, not drinking as much when I bottle ;) ), so as not to have these in my roataion anymore. But, I was surprised to see that the Twist Off Bottles worked as far as Carbonization was concerned.

A guy at a local brewery said that if you use a bench capper twist offs are fine. They just switched to twist offs and have had no problems with shelf stability.

Back